Skip navigation
oblivion_82
Currently Being Moderated

XML from FCP to Premiere CS6 Bug?

Feb 24, 2013 7:31 AM

hi folks,

I exported a XML file from fcp, reimported it to Premiere CS6. Everything worked fine so far, the complete timeline was relinked properly, but the strange thing is that I have no sound during playback in the timeline. I do see the waveforms in the audioclips.

when I match-frame the clips and open them in the viewer I hear sound...

anyone??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to oblivion_82

I'm having the exact same problem!

My footage was HDV and it came over to Premiere "squished" - but was able to fix that with "modify - interpret footage". Tried to modify the audio as well but no luck??

on some clips I see a waveform on one track and dotted lines on the other?? all audio was stereo - on 2 mono tracks in FCP.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to Windswept Productions

Just noticed - some audio in my sequence (music from a CD) played fine - its just the audio synced with the HDV video that is silent?? Then I noticed that the yellow level bands are turned all the way down. If I pull one up I have sound! However, I need to do that to all of the clips at once - any idea how? Setting the Audio Gain to 0db (right-click>audio gain) does nothing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 3:30 PM   in reply to Windswept Productions

Guys,

Can we get more system info? Are you on Mac or PC? Were the files captured on Mac and brought to PC? Any other workflow clues?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 6:05 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Hi Kevin,

I am on a Mac - FCP (6) and Premiere (CS6) on the same machine. I captured HDV tape in FCP.  Audio was stereo but captured as 2 mono tracks - it was edited to the timeline as 2 mono tracks as well. I exported an XML file from FCP & imported it in Premiere. As I mentioned, the video was "squished" but easily fixed by "interpret footage" (use pixel aspect from file). However, the audio has no volume. The yellow level bar in the sequence is at zero (not 0 db but at the lowest setting - infinity). If I drag the bar up the sound is there. It is also there if I load the clip in the source monitor. There are waveforms visible in all the clips. Just that all the levels are as low as they can be???

I haven't done a lot of XML imports but this is the 1st time I have experienced this. It is the 1st project shot on HDV that I've tried to import to Premiere.

thanks,

Doug Knutson

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 6:16 PM   in reply to Windswept Productions

Just noticed something else - the last 2 clips in this one sequence have audio!? They happen to be the only ones with markers in them (volume fades). I took all the markers out (in FCP) & tried XML to Premiere again - this time no sound!?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 8:18 PM   in reply to Windswept Productions

One more thing - when I play the source HDV clips the audio only plays on the left speaker?? All other file types play on both speakers?? Is there something in the way I captured the HDV??

When I  edit to a new sequence (not an imported XML sequence) the audio goes to 2 mono tracks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 5:06 AM   in reply to Windswept Productions

Thanks, Windswept!

This was the trick. I went thru and added volume keyframes (1 per) to each audio file on my A camera. Exported XML from FCP6, imported to PP-CS6 and it worked!  Thank you for posting this!

The way I added the keyframes: 

in FCP double click on the audio wave (below the video/audio line in the Sequence Timeline), select the Pen Tool (P), click on the volume line in the audio wave window to add one keyframe (no volume change necessary).

Note: Any audio files without keyframes did NOT work.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points