Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I mix clips in .MOV format with clips in .MTS format

Feb 24, 2013 1:08 PM

I have video clips from two cameras, .MTS format from a Sony RX100 and .MOV format from a 5D Mark III that I want to combine. Using the "DSLR" format of 1080i I can combine them but the quality of the .MTS clips is poor, with a sort of moire effect on thinner lines. Should I be converting the .MTS clips to .MOV format before I import them (or the other way around), and if so, how would I do that? Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2013 1:23 PM   in reply to DerekWRBC

You are likely going to have some problems -- particularly if you are using a version of the program prior to version 11.

The video from your RX100 purports to be AVCHD, which you should shoot in 1920x1080i for best results. Once you have, you'll need to some experimenting. Create a project using those settings, but some footage on the timeline and output it as a WMV. That should tell if you'll get satisfactory results.

Likewise, particularly if you're planning on eventually mixing these formats, you should be shooting in 1920x1080  at 29.97 fps with your Canon 5D. (Both of these cams are able to shoot in mulitple formats, so it's important that you choose precisely the formats you're shooting in!) Then start a new project set up for DSLR 1920x1080p30 footage and, again, put the footage on your timeline and then output a WMV to check to see if you've got a good workflow.

If you're running version 11, you can go ahead and just start editing -- even mixing the two formats and trying a test output as a WMV. Your results should be pretty good.

With any other version of the program, you'll need to convert the footage from one camcorder to match that of the other in order to mix them in the same project. Otherwise, you'll likely run into all sorts of issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to DerekWRBC

If mixed footage is not working well in one Project, a different workflow might be useful.

One could do one "preliminary" Project for each footage type. Then, Export/Share/Publish to an MS AVI w/ either the Lagarith, or UT Lossless CODEC (both free, and with no quality loss) to the same specs., say 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 FPS, then Import those into a New Project for editing.

Personally, and though I often convert files, I think that it would be the ultimate workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 2:48 AM   in reply to DerekWRBC

Derek

I’ve used PRE9 to successfully combine .mts clips (720p 25fps) from a Panasonic Lumix TZ7 still camera and .mov clips (1080p 29.976fps) from a Nikon P300 still camera. I used an  NTSC DSLR 1080p 29.976fps Project setting. Admittedly neither of the clips were interlaced whereas one of yours is - and this may be where your problem lies judging by the defects you are describing. 

Where were you viewing the degraded 1080i video – in the Preview window or on some exported video

What export format are you looking to use ?

I doubt that the problem is caused by the two different container types (.mts and .mov).

It might be worth trying a Project Setting of DSLR 1080p 29.976fps, particularly if you are happy to export in progressive format. This Project setting should cause the interlaced footage to be de-interlaced before export. Or alternatively, you could try an AVCHD  Project Setting.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 11:26 PM   in reply to DerekWRBC

Derek the preview screen is not particularly high quality. To get a better evaluation of the quality, I suggest you do a small test project with say one clip of each type and go through the Share process to get a proper indication of the output quality. Export the video using Share on a Computer. Now this is where I'm at a disadvantage because I have PRE9 and PRE11 but not PRE10. The export settings changed between 9 and 11 but I'm not sure where 10 fits in. So I'll give you suggested settings for 9 and 11 and you can see how they fit with 10.

PRE11

HD movie : AVCHD, MP4 H264 1920X1080p 30

MPEG movie (for NTSC DVD) : MPEG, NTSC DVD Widescreen

PRE9

HD Movie : MPEG, H264 1920X1080i 30

MPEG movie (for NTSC DVD) : MPEG, NTSC DVD Widescreen

Good luck

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 10:27 PM   in reply to Dave__J__E

I have not meet issue like this.

I think you may convert your video files from two cameras to an single format, then combine them.

Before the conversion, Make the output files with same parameter like bit rate, quality, codec, etc,

I did not try it so i dont know if it works, but still it a worth to try.

Handbrake (http://www.handbrake.fr/) is a good converter to convert my video files, here i think you can convert the camera files to .mp4 format. It is free.

If you work on a Mac, You may try with Appgeeker video converter, It comes with video conversion and merge/split function. I have discovered this app two years ago and since then I have never feel the need to use another converter software.

See: How to convert/merge mts and mov

BTW, i am using a Macbook Air.

Tell me how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:07 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve Grisetti wrote:

The video from your RX100 purports to be AVCHD, which you should shoot in 1920x1080i for best results. Once you have, you'll need to some experimenting.

My primary camera is an RX100.  It's best video setting is "PS" which is a subset of a couple AVCHD settings.  At PS it records 1920x1080p60 and 28 Mbps.  It can be set to 1080i for lower bit rates.  It can also be set to record MP4 at 1440x1080.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to DerekWRBC

DerekWRBC wrote:

Should I be converting the .MTS clips to .MOV format before I import them (or the other way around), and if so, how would I do that? Thanks.

Since you have an RX100 you should upgrade to Premier Elements 11 and Photoshop Elements 11.

You don't get full support for the AVCHD format, espesically the RX100 "PS" 1080p setting, until PrE11.  

Additionaly, the RX100 was not included in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) until 7.3 (or was it 7.2).  Both PrE11 and PE11 use ACR 7 and up.  PrE10 will not accept ACR 7.0 and up.  You can load the RX 100 .ARW RAW files directly into PrE11 for slide shows or to mix with video.  It works very nicely.

I have a project underway in PrE11 with a mix of RX100 AVCHD video and RAW photos.  Out of curiosity and your question, I found and downloaded a .MOV file.  It inserted in the time line with no fuss at all - without any conversion.  A yellow bar popped up above the clip indicating a need to "render" by pressing Enter.  It did play a little jerky in the preview window until I did press Enter.

If you can find a way (Dropbox?) to send me a video clip from your 5Diii, I would enjoy testing it in PrE11 with clips from my RX100.  My experince so far is that it seems Adobe has beefed up it's ability to handle mixed file types.  Between my wife and granddaughters we are shooting pictures and videos with a half dozen different cameras and I have yet to discover conflicts.

Since you say you edit video infrequently, you should know that the preview window is "real time" and the computer may have to work very hard to make the preview play smoothly.  When you "output" render it can take all the time it wants to create smooth playback.   All HD video, especially AVCHD, puts a workload on computers.   If you computer is not one of the stronger ones, you may need to pick the lower resoultion video settings on both cameras.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to DerekWRBC

DerekWRBC wrote:

Dave

The trouble is that I barely know what I am doing, I only seem to take and process video once a year!

To solve that, take the course at lynda.com.  It is thorough, well done and enjoyable. There are courses for both PrE10 and PrE11 (and about a 1,000 other things you can do with your computer.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points