Skip navigation
chrisd666
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 does not detect display adapter after upgrading to Windows 8

Feb 24, 2013 9:02 PM

Hi, I just upgraded my 3 year old Dell XPS 16 which came with a AMD (ATI) Radeon HD 5730 (1GB) graphics card to Windows 8 (along with a new SSD hard drive), and reinstalled CS6, and now I get messages that the program is no longer detecting my dedicated graphics card. I updated the drivers from both Dell and AMD, and I get the same result.The Graphics Processor Seting box is greyed out in Preferences, and it says it detected an error in my display driver. Everything was fine with the same graphics card under Windows 7.

I suspect that when Windows 8 was installed it installed a generic AMD driver, and even though I have updated it from Dell and AMD several times, something is not quite right because I can't find the AMD Catalyst Control Center. So it might be a WIndows 8 & AMD issue, but I don't really know for sure.

If anyone has any ideas how to get the graphics driver working properly for CS6 I'd be very happy.

Thanks

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2013 9:18 PM   in reply to chrisd666

What driver version, specifically, are you running?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to chrisd666

You need to get the correct driver from AMD.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to chrisd666

Try unistalling your vga from device manager and then install it with the newest drivers from amd.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 1:26 PM   in reply to chrisd666

I had a similar issue, I noticed that when you install AMD driver it creates a folder on the C Drive, after uninstalling the VGA driver I was able to update the driver from C:\AMD, just right click on the desktop and choose Screen Resolution > Advance Settings > Adaptor Properties > Driver > Update Driver. Locate AMD folder on the C Drive Mine looked like this "C:\AMD\AMD_Catalyst_12.6_Legacy_Win8\Packages\Drivers\Display"

After a reboot it should work.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 6:05 PM   in reply to chrisd666

AMD has an uninstaller on there site.  I seems you are still trying to install driver through the OS.  You do not want to do this waym they can be months out of date.

Go to  AMD.com and find your card make and model.  Then download the catalyst 12.8 or 13.2 v6 beta driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 8:42 PM   in reply to chrisd666

Unfortunately the 13.1 drivers have some bugs.  The 12.8 drivers are stable, and the 13.2 beta 5 drivers appear to fix most of the bugs.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points