Skip navigation
kate.neale
Currently Being Moderated

Create back-to-back magazine in CS6 - two front covers?

Feb 25, 2013 5:00 AM

Tags: #document #to #back #cs6 #auto-numbering

Hi all,

This is my first post here - I had a look round the forum and couldn't see anything relating to this so here goes:

I'm creating a school magazine in CS6 which has two main types of content: school news and student generated content. I would like both these sections have a front page, so I think a back-to-back magazine (not sure is there is a specific term) where both covers become front covers (but upside down in relation to each other) is the best way forward.

So - I wondered if anyone else has used Indesign for this type of document - are there any pitfalls/heads-ups I need to know about, and I should set the document up in a particular way?

Also, I've been using master pages to add in page numbers, and I wondered if there is a master page workaround for two sets of page numbering - both working towards the middle from each cover? Or would a simpler option be to rotate the pages once they're finished and add the page numbers in manually?

Thanks in advance,

Kate

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to kate.neale

This gets discussed from time to time here, generally in the context of books in two languages, and yes, there are pitfalls. to be truly back to back, not only do you need to rotate the back cover, but all of the pages for the second version, and they need to be in reverse order, You also need to decide if they will interleave (so there will be a right-side-up and an upside-down page on each spread), or if you wan t it set up so you can thear the magazine in half down the spine and have two separate but complete magazines.

The answer to the last part will help determine the easiest way to get the layout you need, but it's usually easiest to start out with two separate files and combine them in some way at the end.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points