Skip navigation
Tsnmrz
Currently Being Moderated

Resolution Issue between Ai & Ps

Feb 25, 2013 5:00 AM

Hello,

I'm having some problems matching workflow including Ai and Ps. I`ll try to explain:

I'm developing some little icons 20px in Ai, I work pixel by pixel creating 1px squares to fully control the aspect. However, I need to finish them in Photoshop but when I use the copy/paste method I get a new Photoshop file at weird resolution (96.012). As a result I always get blur, dirty pixels.

I know that I can save the art as PNG from Ai and then open it in Ps with exact pixel match, but I did work before copying & pasting and I always got nice and clean 72pp document in Photoshop.

I guess it's due some preference -either in Ai or Ps- someone changed and I don't control.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.D. I'm using CS5 suite.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2013 5:33 AM   in reply to Tsnmrz

going to ask what might be an unhelpful question: why work in illustrator at all for this?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 8:37 AM   in reply to Tsnmrz

With an icon so small, you could "Export" the vector file at 300ppi.  Try Save for Web and see what you get there, too.  But 72ppi is going to make any image chop sui, bigger-the-better.  Your graphic is small enough where high resolution file size is not an issue.  After "Export", you could save the graphic as a .jpg or .png, whatever is appropriate. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to Tsnmrz

In order to control the size, you'll be better off "Exporting" out of Illustrator instead of copy & paste.  Remember, you are copying a vector ( resolution independent ) to a bitmap format.  It could be that default Photoshop files are set for 96ppi, so your Illustrator file will get resized.  If you do not want to "Export" the artwork, close it out of Illustrator and then open it using Photoshop where you will be able to apply your size requirements and resolution.  When I said :bigger-the-better", I meant larger sized images look better at 72 ppi than smaller ones.  You say you are building an icon at 20px., but what is the actual size when placed in your web page?  I recommended 300ppi based on the size of the graphic, which I read as pretty small.  So, an RGB based graphic will be 75ppix75ppi at .25" and will only be a few hundred "k", if that.  That's better than 24ppix24ppi at .25" at 96ppi, where you are getting jaggies.  I thought you could try it to see if it works better for you.  I wonder if there is a way to "Save-for-Web as a vector .gif?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points