Skip navigation
T27
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Movie Replaced by Multiple Button Icons

Feb 25, 2013 7:25 AM

Hi,

I had an FLV file working fine in a page, in DW CS6 on Win7.  I inserted the FLV directly into a div, so not a SWF file.

I'm afraid this is one of those where I apparently changed nothing on the page, but this morning, in place of the video, I got what you see in the image.  Taken from Live View, but it's the same in Firefox:

NotAFlashMovie.jpg

I created a new site and placed just the FLV in that, did a new page the same way, but exactly the same result.  The FLV is fine - works in Flash Pro, works in VLC Player.

Aside from the fact that I should likely be using HTML5, does anyone know how and why this happens, and how I can fix it please?

One thing I did do last night was set up a trial account for Slideshow Pro Director, the online account.  I don't know if that is purely embedded code or if it added anything; which is why I tried a new site folder.

As soon as I find a tool that does a decent job of encoding to OGG and WebM, I'll do that, but so far I am getting pixellated rainbow disasters from the ones I've tried.  I have to believe that's my fault, though what and why I have no idea - shame Adobe don't provide a solution for those, not yet anyway.

Many thanks for any help.

Julian.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to T27

Can we see the page live somewhere?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to T27

For security reasons, my browsers won't play ActiveX content locally.  Only remotely or if I preview in a local testing server like wamp, xampp, etc...

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 25, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to T27

Another thing I notice is you haven't given a direct reference to your actual .flv file name in your code.

streamName=videos/T27Reel

I guess the .flv file is 'Take 27 - Demo Reel.flv'? Can you try giving a full URL reference in the streamName to see if that helps locally?

Btw, the flv file is about 75MB - huge for online streaming I'd say. You may want to consider resizing the dimension/ quality using Adobe Media Encoder to make it more 'web-friendly'.

-ST

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

That's kind of an oxymoron because Flash is no longer "web friendly."

Web friendly is M4V  with an HTML5 player. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to T27

I don't have time to waste on converting to ogg, webm, flv and mp4.  I deal with hundreds of video clips per month.  So that's just not a feasible workflow for me.

I found Pickle Player works great in all devices with just M4V.

You can try before you buy.

http://www.pickleplayer.com/

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 25, 2013 10:57 PM   in reply to T27

So yes, HTML5 video - hurrah - I knew that.  And I will go with it of course, as soon as I can find something that turns this movie file into something decent in OGG and WebM.  Seriously, any recommendations would be very welcome.

http://www.online-convert.com/ - It's free, fast and works great.

-ST

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to T27

I assure you Pickle Player isn't adding artifacts to your videos. 

I use QuickTime Pro to export to M4V for iPod.  The results are good with almost no waiting for videos to download.

Another video transcoder worth trying is Handbrake.

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points