Skip navigation
Cuprik
Currently Being Moderated

SmartObject psb name

Feb 25, 2013 8:26 AM

Tags: #smartobject

Is there a way to control the name of a Smart Object when edited?

It currently opens as 'rectangle#.psb' though it is now a complex multi-layered object.

I would like to give it a meaningful name.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to Cuprik

One can rename the instance in the containing document, but getting another name for the temp-psb would probably necessitate using Replace Contents.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 25, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to Cuprik

In your document a smart object layer name is modifiable you can rename it to what ever you want.  However when you open the embedded smart object the new temporary document that opens name may be something that was recorded into the smart object when the smart was created.  If you save the temp document that is opened when you double click on the smart object layers icon the original embedded smart object in you document smart object layer will be updated the reflect the changes you made while editing the temp document.  Any temp documents created by Photoshop's save will be deleted when your system does disk cleanup. So you can control the name of a smart object layer however ever time you reopen a smart object the temp file name may be a something the was recorded when the object was receated.  Sometime the name may change when its a single layer smart object smart object layer is reopened and layer name is changed however multi layer smart object always seem reopen with the same name recorded into the smart object during the creation of the embedded smart object. You may want to try creating an independent smart object layer from you smart object layer.  Using menu Layer>smart objects>new smart object via copy.  The new independent smart object would need to have a different internal name then the original one to be independent. However I do not know if you can control what the name will be.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to Cuprik

Christoph is correct in reply #1.

Open the main document that contains the SO layer.

Double-click the SO layer thumbnail to open the SO into a document window as if to edit it.

Save As to a new file with the desired name.

Close the SO document and return to the main document.

Right-click on SO layer name in Layers panel and pick Replace Contents from the context menu.

Select the file that you saved in the third step.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 12:09 PM   in reply to Cuprik

That appending of a number won't usually happen. It's only happening at the moment because there currently already is a file (the one you saved in step 3, above) in the temporary folder with the same name as the SO's file.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 25, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to Cuprik

Cuprik wrote:

Thanks.

Worked.

It appends a number to the new psb filename, but that's minor.

I'm creating a template that will be edited by multiple users, so having a meaningful file name for the smartobject is essential.

I really don't understand why having a meaningful smart object name is of any importance.  Many smart objects never have any file associated with it..  When you double click on a smart object layers smart icon in the layers palette Photoshop will open a new document into its open document ring. It has no backing file. Should you change this new open document and save it Photoshop will save it into the user's temp folder then replace the original embedded smart object in the document being edited to reflect the changes made editing the temp document. At that point you should close the temp work document for its no longer need.   Yes it backed in the users temp folder which normally is a hidden folder and that file will be deleted during disk clean up.  The user's temp folder and files in it are normally hidden so I do not understand why having a meaningful name is important at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 12:43 PM   in reply to Cuprik

A temporary file that Photoshop creates when a SO is opened should persist only until the doc containing the SO is closed, whereupon Photoshop should delete it.

A file which you manually save to the temporary folder will persist until you delete it or the OS cleans up, whichever is sooner.

At least that's how it works on my Mac.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 25, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to conroy

I seem to remember on windows pc system temp files saved seem to hang around till you do disk clean up.  That is most likely why the opt is seeing  a sequence of smart object files.  When you open an embedded smart object Photoshop opens a new document that has no backing file. When to use menu file save Photoshop saves it into the users temp folder.  Photoshop most likely check to see fit the file names it going to to save exists in the temp folder. If it does it bumps the sequence number and check again till it finds the name does not exists.

Mac OS file system has a type of file link that keeps a deleted file around till all open file handle to the file go away then the file delete is completed.  Therfore MAC Photoshop can open the file and delete the smart object file it has open so it can copy and replace the original smart object. The file will hang around till its copied into the smart object and the open deleted file is closed.  Mac and PC Photoshop work differently is some areas.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 25, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to Cuprik

Cuprik wrote:

Because ultimately it won't be edited by me, but by multiple users that will be confused by meaningless file names.

Users normally will not see these temp file. Both Apple and Microsoft like to hide some files and folders from users. I change my Windows default folder view setting so I can see hidden folders and these files. If you can see these name in open dialogs and in widows file explorer or finder you changed your settings too.  If the only place you see these names is in Photoshop temp document windows or tabs titles what difference does what the name is the user knows it there because they doubled clicked on a smart object icon in the layers palette to open the embedded object.

These temp files are normally deleted when users use disk cleanup and delete temp files and folders

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

When you open an embedded smart object Photoshop opens a new document that has no backing file.

No. To open a SO, Photoshop copies the SO file, which is embedded in the current document, to a temporary file on disk then opens that temporary file into a document window.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

Mac OS file system has a type of file link that keeps a deleted file around till all open file handle to the file go away then the file delete is completed.  Therfore MAC Photoshop can open the file and delete the smart object file it has open so it can copy and replace the original smart object. The file will hang around till its copied into the smart object and the open deleted file is closed.  Mac and PC Photoshop work differently is some areas.

As I stated somewhere earlier in this thread, the temporary file of the opened SO persists until the document that contains the SO is closed. That's what happens on my Mac. I have no idea what happens on your PC.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 25, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to conroy

conroy wrote:

No. To open a SO, Photoshop copies the SO file, which is embedded in the current document, to a temporary file on disk then opens that temporary file into a document window.

I find that hard to swallow. For example let say a I create a new document add three layers and make a layer group and add some layers into that group. Then I select a layers I made before and that layer group and use convert to smart object. The layer and group in the document  is replaced with a single smart layer.  Where did Photoshop find a file it could embed.  All embedded smart object are not copies of files some just contain native Photoshop structure like layers, adjustments mask etc that may easily to copy from native PSB files or created by converting current structures. It a chicken and egg thing IMO which comes first the egg or chicken.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

conroy wrote:

I find that hard to swallow.

Okay.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 26, 2013 6:12 AM   in reply to conroy

Sometime you and I don't see thing and I don't write exactly what is happening.  If thing go correctly on a windows system the temp psb smart object files get written the first time you double click on its smart object icon in the layers palette. The file is presistent till the document the has the smart object layer is closed by Photoshop.  If photoshop crashes before that it will not be cleaned up and if you open the document and in turn open the smart object a new psb with a name like the first psb file  with a sequend number.   This is easily observed on a windows system by having window file explorer open in the useris temp folder.

I do not know about Mac software these days.  I have nou used a Mac in 15 to 20 years and Mac in those days mac's ran on power pc systems on Apple OS 7 and OS 9.  Those OS IMO were a mess.  When Jobs returned to apple he killed two thing in one shot when IBM refused to manufacture a low power consuming power pc chip. Steve as able to Kill Apple own OS and kill power PC macs.  Stevd knew the power oh UNIX for he used it in his Next company.  It was a win win for him UNIX was developed in the 60's in Bell labs to be a portable OS. And was available for Intel processors. It was machure and stable way better the Mac OS 9.  Apple never look back all the hed to do was te develop a Mac shell for unix.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 7:07 AM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

Sometime you and I don't see thing and I don't write exactly what is happening.  If thing go correctly on a windows system the temp psb smart object files get written the first time you double click on its smart object icon in the layers palette. The file is presistent till the document the has the smart object layer is closed by Photoshop.  If photoshop crashes before that it will not be cleaned up and if you open the document and in turn open the smart object a new psb with a name like the first psb file  with a sequend number.   This is easily observed on a windows system by having window file explorer open in the useris temp folder.

!!!!

You're describing the process which I said happens on my Mac. That's completely different from your initial claim. I posted my contradiction to your initial false information, and now you agree with my account of the SO opening process. Good! Now you seem to understand what is happening on your computer.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 26, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to conroy

Conroy many different things can and do happen. One can dupe and create smart object layers  that share a common embedded object and also independent smart object layers can be created with independent embedded object made using new smart objects via copy when opened a second psb file will be written and opened in Photoshop with a name like the first one with a sequence number. Also while Photoshop CS6 is now quite stable if does fail on a relatively regular basic in four area on my systems in an ATI video driver. in Photoshop scripting UI module in and image dll and some times in Photoshop.exe itself. File are often left behind and not cleaned up until a disk cleanup utility is used to delete things like temp file. I know you read this forum and know that Photoshop is far from perfect.  Murphy tell us if it can happen it will happen.  What you write is very good but also not the only way thing go down.  You get very upset when users like me add additional information. Myself and other are only trying to help.

What I wrote does not contradict what I wrote and what I wrote is not false it goes along with what you wrote and what you know to be true. That there are bugs and thing do not always work like designed and often there are side effects that can happen when users do a particular set of operations.     Conroy I know you know thing do happen and I have probably seen more strange thing happen on computers then you have.  I'm an old fart that been around computers for over fifty years I worked on punch card machines that had no OS and on systems that had no disk that ran TOS a Tape operating systems.  I understand computers quite well and have for many years.

Also all embedded smart object are not the same some contain copies of files like RAW, Jpeg, Tiff, PSD etc Sometime ACR will open instead of Photoshop and when Photoshop does open on such and embedded object the name is the title will not be *.psb instead it will be a title like *.PSD or *.jpg or *.tif.   If ACR open there will be no SAVE button the will be a OK and Cancel button.  Operation is not always the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to JJMack

You get very upset when users like me add additional information. Myself and other are only trying to help.

You've tried playing that hand before. You are the one who has resorted to screaming tantrums and hurling personal insults on a number of occasions when I've contradicted your misinformation. And several times now, you've projected that trait onto me.

Your initial so-called information was wrong. I contradicted that error. Get over it and move on.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 26, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to conroy

My farther told me many years ago you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink it. Nothing I wrote was meant as an attack on you if you don't want to drink so be it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 12:33 PM   in reply to JJMack

The attack is the "you get very upset" nonsense with which you try to paint me when you know fine that you are the one with a history of flying into a rage when you realize you've posted garbage on the internet.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 26, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to conroy

Conroy I never mean to attract you debating may seem like an attack not my intent. I have see you get upset in several treads because of what others have posted.

I do not care if you think what I post is garbage and incorrect.  I know better for all I have posted I have tested and am able to repeat on my machines.  Thing don't always work correctly and even when working correctly condition and operations can change. 

When you create a independent smart object using layer>smart objects>new smart object via copy and you open both embedded smart objects Photoshop will generate two temp psb files. The second file will have the same name as the first psb file wits sequence number suffix.  This will also happen for a single smart object layer if in the past Photoshop aborted whet the embedded object was or have been opened for the temp psb temp file does not get cleaned up. Photoshop creates a new temp psb file with a suffix if there is a left behind not cleaned up leaving a psb file for it may not even be in the same state as the embedded object for Photoshop terminated its possible that object had been updated the in the smart layer however document itself may or may not have been saved after the smart object layer was updated. Photoshop aborted  things were not cleaned up.  

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 26, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to Cuprik

I'm happy Conroy's solution is good for you.  Saving the embedded smart object as a file then replacing the contents of the embedded smart object seems unnecessary and your likely to leave around the saved smart object files you created on your machine.  Once the contents of the samrt object is replace the saved file is no loger needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

Conroy I never mean to attract you debating may seem like an attack not my intent. I have see you get upset in several treads because of what others have posted.

JJ, give it a rest. I don't want to go so far as to call you a liar, but you are the one with a history of exploding into a rage in this forum and a history of falsely claiming that I "get upset".

I do not care if you think what I post is garbage and incorrect.  I know better for all I have posted I have tested and am able to repeat on my machines.

You posted something that's factually wrong.

I posted a contradiction.

You replied that my contradictory account of events was "hard to swallow".

Then you actually tested and observed your computer and discovered that I was correct.

Then you posted a description of events which matched my description (which you had found "hard to swallow").

Now you appear to be hoping that readers will have forgotten that it was your initial mistake that was the spark for this dispute, and that readers will think your amended position was your initial position, and that "all" you have posted is based on testing.

Wouldn't it have been far easier to admit, thousands of words back, that you had initially made a mistake?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points