Skip navigation
sparkyaz
Currently Being Moderated

Getting message "error encountered while writing file"

Feb 25, 2013 9:01 AM

While trying to do a full backup to an external hard drive, I am getting a message "error encountered while writing file" after about 75% of the 14,000 photos.  I believe I have traced the problem to a missing slide show presentation program that was on an external hard drive (F) I no longer have. The program still works (from the C drive), however if I click on the program thumbnail in the Organize screen (which points to the F drive), and try to delete it, I get a message "An error occurred while reading files or writing files to disc. The disc may be full or there may be a problem with the source media."  I believe that is because it is looking for the program on the non-existent F drive.  What can I do to enable a backup?

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,806 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to sparkyaz

Try using the Menu

File Catalog (Manage catalog)

Then use Optimine and repair buttons.

That may improve the back-up process but you should delete known conflicts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2013 11:16 PM   in reply to sparkyaz

What is the source of backup (CD/DVD/External hard disk)?

The .psess file is located inside 'Projects' folder in your catalog folder (location of catalog folder can be determined from Help->System Info). You can check for the permission of this file and make sure that all users has read-write permission for it.

Now right click 'PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe' (located in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 11 Organizer) and select 'Run as admin'. Now try deleting file.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points