Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Menues pixelated in DVD players fullscreen mode on iMac 27. Can I expect high quality resolution?

Feb 25, 2013 10:01 AM

I’ve imported a video from Premiere Pro to Encore and now I want to build a menu with high quality PSD images. The images I import and even the preset menues are just very pixelate when I build the DVD and look at it the DVD player on the iMac. I’ve read about pixel ratio, NTSC or PAL, 4:3 or 16:9. There’s so many alternatives and right now I’m just totally confused.

What can I say about my project. 1920x1080, AVCHD 1080p Square pixels, 25 fps, 16:9.

I’m no pro so this is what I read about it.

Anyone?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to dabe76

I'm not a pro either. If your footage is HD. When you create your project, the DVD authoriing mode should be set to BluRay which lets you create a high quality menu (more than 720x480). I guss you chose DVD as the authoring mode. When you play our menu in full screen mode on a bigger monitor, everything will become pixelated.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to dabe76

I don't have the exact number (I only do DVD) but my understanding is that a DVD is "about" one-quarter the resolution of a BluRay

Any upscaling of a DVD to a HiDef screen must be done in the player (or in a TV that has the "chip" to do upscaling)

If your player and/or TV do not have upscaling... or do not have GOOD upscaling hardware... a DVD on a HiDef screen will not look good

See the picture in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1120039 for an understanding of sizes

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 7:56 PM   in reply to dabe76

If you choose DVD as your authoring mode, the video res. is always set to

720 x 480. Your menu will be set to this pixel dimension.

If you pick BluRay, you have an option to pick larger screen size that's what you need.

I haven't tried it yet.

Let's pick Blue-Ray for your authorizing mode, when you build your project, select DVD and see what happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to commonguy101

There is no advantage to building menus larger than DVD size, unless you are going to try using them in a parallel Bluray project. In the end, Encore will downrez them to 720x480 (NTSC) either standard or widescreen. The prevailing sentiment is that it is better to downrez in photoshop or other programs than in Encore.

You also have to be careful because most of the HD sizes are square pixels and the DVD size is not.

When you are starting with this, I think it helps to start with an Encore library menu and from Encore use the "edit in photoshop" option. When you bring your high pixel graphics in, you scale them down to the Encore template.

Either way, you should not see serious pixelation unless you are playing on non-upscaling HD equipment.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points