Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

what if my video is larger or smaller than project setting

Feb 25, 2013 10:15 AM

Tags: #encore #project #setting #ratio #aspect

Hi,

I came across a different issue.

I created my project as DVD authoring mode which gives me 720 x 480 pixel.

That's fine because most of my videos are at this resolution.

When I imported some videos which have different pixel dimensions, something happen.

First, I assume Encore will change my video to 720 x 480.

That's truth for videos dimensions which are lower than 720 x 480.

When I imported a 1280 x 720 video, my project will play this video at this aspect ratio.

Not sure if my playback video is exactly 1280 x 720 but at least it is played as wide screen mode.

A strange thing is the Project panel shows this video (timeline) at 720 x 480, but the playback mode is not.

My question is how can I keep my videos at their aspect ratio even they are different from project setting I set at the beginning.

Is it ok to do that? A menu play videos at different aspect ratios.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2013 11:15 AM   in reply to commonguy101

Did you get an answer in one of your other threads? I have not been able to read all the threads the last couple days.

Your 1280 x 720 is not widescreen just because it is that pixel size, but because it is that pixel size with square pixels.

Normally Encore gets this right by looking at the information in the file: it interprets 1280 x 720 as square pixels and makes it wide screen when transcoded. It does not matter what your project setting is; it depends on what the interpretation is. If Encore gets it wrong, right click on the asset (not the timeline), and select "interpet footage." Then click the "conform to" button and change it to the correct setting.

I don't know what you mean by "a menu play videos at different aspect ratios." A videos aspect ratio is not determined by the menu but by its own Encore setting.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to commonguy101

I think you said it correctly, but just to be sure:

If the video for a timeline is widescreen and Encore sees it correctly, and you look at "interpret footage," it should say "Use the Asset's Par: [what Encore thinks it is - e.g. SD NTSC (0.9091)]."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points