Skip navigation
hipeakman
Currently Being Moderated

Why is PE10 very slow (broken) to preview wmv clip?

Feb 25, 2013 1:30 PM

Tags: #windows_7 #wmv_file #premiere_elements_10

I realize that wmv clips are fairly processor intensive to decode or render, but I just encountered one (created by Google Earth Pro) that affectively breaks my Elements application. 

When attempting to preview the clip from the project timeline, the preview display window only updates about every 5 seconds or so and the timeline cursor jumps similarly sporatically.  Even after playing beyond the wmv clip into titles and other mpeg clips, the preview process is obviously still bogged down.  I have to stop the playback and re-locate the time cursor somewhere outside the wmv clip to restore normal playback response.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be conflicting or causing the processing halt?  I'm running Win7 64-bit OS, on an i7 x990 (hex core) 3.47GHz processor with 24G of RAM and dual SATA hard drives.  Surely the hardware is capable of doing the processing, but I'm not sure about Adobe Premier Elements now.

Regards,

Roger Green

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to hipeakman

WMV is meant to be played and not edited. This particular wmv is probably heavily compressed hence the playback issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Actually, for editing WMV files, I'd recommend Windows MovieMaker Live rather than Premiere Elements. It fits the workflow much better.

Premiere Elements works best with camcorder video: miniDV, HDV, AVCHD and smartphone video.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 5:40 AM   in reply to hipeakman

You can't use MovieMaker to convert your hi-def footage an editable format that I know of.

But if you have no choice and this is only format it's available in, you can try to load it into Premiere Elements and then output it as a more editable format rather than trying to edit the WMV file.

What settings you use and what you output it as depends on what resolution your WMV footage is in and what you plan to do with your final video when it's edited. (DVD? BluRay? YouTube? etc)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points