Skip navigation
terryjohnpratt
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge won't let me trash a file

Feb 25, 2013 3:43 PM

I am told I do not have permissiopn to trash files??

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 25, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to terryjohnpratt

I am told I do not have permissiopn to trash files??

If Bridge tells you so then it might be true…

But seriously, can you provide more details about your set up, system and versions and what files are you trying to trash and how are you trying to trash them (content panel or else, from a network , your start up disk, external, etc.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2013 5:42 PM   in reply to terryjohnpratt

You are most likely running into an ownership problem.  You should google this.  Here is one link http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/setting_the_ownership_of_a_shar ed_mac_disk

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 26, 2013 12:11 AM   in reply to terryjohnpratt

This is my hoe compute an I am admin

The link Curt provided may be a bit 'in the deep' with Terminal needed.

Open the Apple Disk utility in the utilities folder (applications / utilities) and choose the start up disk in the side bar, then run the 'check and repair permissions' option.

A short route may also be to select the external disk in Finder and choose 'get info' from the File menu (or Cmd+i). At the bottom of this window you can find the section 'share and permissions'. inhere shows the info for the user, staff and everyone. User and staff should preferable show 'read and write'. You need the admin password to change those permissions.

(but also run a check and repair permissions, it is a good maintenance for your system, also look at 'Cocktail', a cheap and good maintenance application for the Mac)

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 26, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to terryjohnpratt

Of my 3 HDs only ONE has a check box"ignore ownership", that "one" lets me delete N OT the other 2.

If the ignore ownership message is selected I would think everyone can freely read and write to that disk. I would prefer to choose Read and write permission for both user and staff and read only for everyone.

It is a simple change, you only have to click on the lock, set your admin password and change the permission, after that you should be able to delete files form Bridge from both disks

Otherwise if still not after changing permission try a reset of Bridge Preferences, often cures the strangest of problems.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points