Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why aren't these BASIC features (from Illy+Pshop) in InDesign?

Feb 25, 2013 6:14 PM

It drives me mad the amount of inconsistencies between some very basic features in Adobe products. Can someone please provide a LOGICAL answer as to why these features are not in InDesign:

(incidentally the 'chat' support on the Adobe site is useless, as is the phone support - what a joke)

Scrubby Zoom (also not in Illustrator) - why is this not available as an option?! Why on earth would anyone want to use two different zooming styles when going between apps?!

• No 'Select same Fill/Stroke'

• No Copy and Paste FX/Layer Style (would be very handy for copying drop shadow and other FX

• No multiple stroke functionality in InDesign

The 'Hide' command is not consistent between PShop and Indesign (Cmd+H hides edges/selection in Pshop, but hides the whole app in InDesign)

No fullscreen view by pressing 'F' in InDesign (this is a great feature in Illustrator and Pshop)

No 'O' shortcut in InDesign to reflect a shape, as you would in Illustrator

No Lasso tool in Indesign

No Appearance palette in InDesign

• The option for toggling Stroke Scaling in ID is not in the same place as in Illustrator

No Reset Bounding Box in Illustrator

• Why doesn't the next object drawn in InDesign take on the same style of the last one drawn, as it does in Illustrator?

No 'Percent' drop down option on Rulers in InDesign

No 'Hide Edges' command in InDesign

Also, this would be a super-useful feature in both Illustrator and Indesign:

• a Contextual right-click drop down menu to allow changing of stroke width on the fly, plus maybe even a keyboard short cut to do this

Ability to Eyedrop Colour AND Opacity values simultaneously

Can someone please answer why these very basic features are not consistent between the Adobe applications?! Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2013 9:46 PM   in reply to Citizen1980

This is a user forum, and we are all users like you. If you think those would be useful features, the best way to get the message to Adobe product managers is to submit a feature request.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 11:55 PM   in reply to Citizen1980

I'm not from Adobe, but I can tell you a few things:

Citizen1980 wrote:

No fullscreen view by pressing 'F' in InDesign (this is a great feature in Illustrator and Pshop)

If you maximize the window, you can toggle the tools and pallets out of the way with the tab key. This is similar to fullscreen view in Photoshop. Maybe it's close enough to meet your needs.

Citizen1980 wrote:

No Lasso tool in Indesign

The lasso tool in Photoshop is one of several tools that are used to make a selection of pixels. You can't, for example, select type in Photoshop with the lasso tool. Since InDesign does not edit selections of pixels, the tool would have no use.

Citizen1980 wrote:

No 'Hide Edges' command in InDesign

InDesign has View>Extras>Hide Frame Edges. Does that help?

Citizen1980 wrote:

Also, this would be a super-useful feature in both Illustrator and Indesign:

• a Contextual right-click drop down menu to allow changing of stroke width on the fly

I don't use Illustrator all that much, but InDesign can do that already.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to Citizen1980

Citizen1980 wrote:

Hide Frame Edges doesn't seem to work - I can still see the frame edges when this is selected.

Do you see the frame edges all the time, or only when the cursor is over them? Frame highlighting under a cursor is a setting in the prefs. You will also, of course, always see the edge of a stroked frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to Citizen1980

In InDesign you can toggle between different views by clicking "w".

More is to say that InDesign is a completely different program than Illustrator and Photoshop.

In InDesign most professionel work with styles: Paragraph, Character, Objects, Tables, Cells, Swatches, Cross Reference Styles, TOC etc. So it would not make sense to copy and paste an effect or widen a stroke. Use styles, that is the fastest way to work in InDesign.

Adobe's developer team has only limited time between each version to add new features. They have to evaluate which is important. If you think that these features are important to you please submit a feature request. But be aware that other users have much different wishes. Personally I would not even set one of your requests on my list.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to Citizen1980

In a "blind logic" sense, your questions and frustrations are understandable, of course. Everyone that's been visiting these forums regularly for any amount of time knows that questions like these are raised time and time again.

When you allow yourself to step outside the theory of the ideal, and consider the actual historical circumstances under which the apps that now make up CS have been developed, it becomes a little clearer that any attempt now to unify them completely would result in so many roadblocks to release that the product would cease to exist. As always, the core apps, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign are at the heart of the issue because they have moved a great deal toward unification and cross-functional integration since the inception of the Creative Suite product strategy, and because so may users have reason to use them in combination to produce their work. However, the three products continue to be managed and executed by separate teams working in independent cycles on differing code bases, with varied objectives. Throw in the ever-changing OS-compatibility challenges, and the picture only gets more convoluted. There have been a number of very informative posts here by Adobe staff addressing these very issues, but they are not necessarily easy to hit in a forum search.

In any event, to the user, it often seems like implementing common UI functions like those you've pointed out would be a no-brainer. That might be true if the CS apps were all built from scratch at the same time in the same way by the same people. But they weren't. Not even close.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:17 AM   in reply to Citizen1980

Are you a software engineer? If not, you are in no position to determine that the Adobe engineers are "lazy."

If you want make suggestions feel free. But spare us the rest.

This is user to user forum. Maybe an Adobe employee will stop by but then again, maybe not.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 6:02 AM   in reply to Citizen1980

I understand that the different applications have different strengths

True, but unrelated to anything in my post.

There must be next to zero communication between the development teams.

That's more or less what I was saying, but it's not a matter of laziness, but rather more analogous to differences in language, not to mention priorities.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points