Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

why is my direct selection tool not responding?

Feb 25, 2013 8:09 PM

I have Creative suit 5.5 upgraded last year but cannot use ID as a couple of the application tools including direct selection tool just dfont respond. Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2013 10:41 PM   in reply to andreahelenexcell

Try to press A from your keyboard as its the shortcut key in Indesign for this tool . Still if any problem persists try to check with the keyboard Shortcut option as well. In order to do that go to Edit , select Keyboard Shortcut and then Select Product Area as TOOLS and then after locate the Direct Selection Tool in the list and then in New Shortcut Box type any key combination like CTRL+ALT+5 .

Hope it will fix your concern .

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 12:46 AM   in reply to andreahelenexcell

What OS?

"a couple of the application tools including direct selection tool just dfont respond." isn't terribly descriptive of waht youare doing and what you expect to happen that fails. Can you be more specific?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 7:25 PM   in reply to andreahelenexcell

What's your OS ?

There are few issues with the mouse click not responding when working on Windows 7 and Vista.

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-tools-panels-dont-respond. html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 5:14 AM   in reply to andreahelenexcell

If you actually answer the questions we ask you we might be able to help. There is a known issue with Windows Vista and Windows 7 that causes the mouse to misbehave when Aero themes are combined with large fonts in the OS interface. It has nothing to do with the mouse itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to andreahelenexcell

You've tried all the suggestions? What suggestions? The only thing I see suggested so far is to try the A key to select the tool.

You still haven't told us your operating system, and I don't know why you won't do that. We can't help you if you don't give us the information we need.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thank you. Please see InDesign tools and panels don't respond to mouse clicks (Windows 7/Vista)

If you have large fonts enabled in Windows 7 interface customization you cannot run an Aero theme with ID. You can leave the large fonts and use a classic theme, or return the font size to normal and keep the Aero theme.

The symptoms of this problem are not always restricted to the article description.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 5:06 PM   in reply to andreahelenexcell

As I said, you CAN use larger fonts, you just have to not use them in combination with an AERO theme.

Right Click the desktop and choose Personalize, then you can choose a theme from the bottom row as a starting point and customize it. Those should work with the large fonts.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to andreahelenexcell

Because Windows 7 uses Aero themes by default your personalized theme is almost certainly based on an Aero theme, so is an Aero theme, just not labeled as such.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 2:52 AM   in reply to andreahelenexcell

I thnk you can still even have your photo, IF you choose one of the Basic Themes on the bottom Row (like Windows Classic), then customize it and add your photo.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points