Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why is my NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics card not working with CS6 and Snow Leopard?

Feb 26, 2013 12:27 AM

I have never had anything go wrong before, so I do not know what to do about this, but I cannot do any 3D work. I was hoping to learn new skills. I am working on a Mac pro which is about five years old. Do I need to upgarde this card, download something for it? Buy  anew card? I have not got a clue.

Thanks, Fran

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 26, 2013 4:51 AM   in reply to FranMay

Is the 3D menu greyed out for you within Photoshop or is it active but not working the way it should? Can you go to Help > System Info, copy & paste that data here for us to review please?

-ST

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 26, 2013 5:03 AM   in reply to FranMay

Here's the CS6 GPU FAQ: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html

The minimum amount of RAM supported on video cards for Photoshop CS6 is 256 MB. Photoshop 13.1 cannot display 3D features if you have less than 512 MB of VRAM on your video card.

Your video card has 256MB VRAM. Unfortunately not sufficient for 3D to work.

-ST

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 26, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to FranMay

Unfortunately not. VRAM is a default spec for a video card that you cannot upgrade.

And I do realize you're on a 'Mac Pro' (tower), correct? Or is it a MacBook Pro (laptop)?

If it is a tower, you could upgrade just your video card - http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/display s#m.productKind=graphic_cards

Check with an Apple Store or Apple Care to see if your Mac Pro can support the present day video cards or if it has limitations. If they say you could upgrade to a 1GB Video card or something, you could go ahead and get the upgrade done. You'll experience dramatic difference after that with Photoshop and most other graphic applications.

-ST

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to FranMay

Thread moved from PS Beginners forum to Photoshop General Discussion forum.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to FranMay

FranMay, there aren't many video card choices left for a Mac Pro of that age, but you might want to try the ATI Radeon HD 5770 from the Apple Store. Although it's labeled "for Mac Pro (Mid 2010)," if you read the Questions and Answers at the bottom of the product page, users report the card seems to work in the early Mac Pros that you and I have. (I haven't tried that card yet myself.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 26, 2013 8:25 PM   in reply to Conrad Chavez

FranMay & Conrad, AFAIK all you'll need is a PCIe 2.0 slot and OS 10.6 or higher. If both suffice, I don't see a reason why the upgrade shouldn't be possible.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 27, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to FranMay

Good luck

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...