Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Changing next/previous page buttons in menu

Feb 26, 2013 5:36 AM

I am creating a menu using one of the standard themes but the buttons for navigating to the next/previous menu page don't really show up.  I've tried to find them in the Premiere Elements directory (am using PE 11) but can't.  Is there any way of, say, changing the colour of these buttons or making them stand out better?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to NewToPremiereElements

If they are text, you should be able to select the Next or Previous buttons and change their font and text colors.

If not, the only way to do it is to edit their original template (a PSD file). And that can be a bit challenging if you don't know what you're doing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to NewToPremiereElements

Exactly which Menu Set Template are you using? We can take a look at that, and then give instructions for altering the color, if Text.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to NewToPremiereElements

To change either the "leaf" graphic's color, or that of the Highlight, they would need Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements. Here is a look at that Menu (Main Menu from the Menu Set), with everything turned OFF, but the "Next leaf." I applied a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer (not sure that PSE has Adjustment Layers yet - but one could use other methods), linked it to just that Layer, and adjusted the Hue to dark red:

Change_Menu_Colors.png

One could do the same, if they wanted to adjust the color of the Sub-picture Highlight. If one were doing this, they would want to record the adjustment for Hue/Saturation, maybe in an Action, to repeat those settings for the "Previous leaf," and the "Main Menu leaf," in this example.

Also, if one were to make such corrections to the Menu Set Templates, I strongly recommend NOT overwriting the existing Templates, but Save_As to that folder. Note that there are necessary naming conventions, and to get a display in the Menu Set Template Gallery, they will need to create a matching PNG.

Since there are many mandatory conventions (Layer and Layer Set naming, PSD file naming, etc.), it would pay to spend some serious time, learning about the structure, before attempting to heavily modify a Menu Set, beyond the customization that PrE allows, within the program.

Next, Photoshp can do Menu Set editing, with no restrictions (other than those mentioned conventions and structure), such as create Layer Sets (translated, when done correctly, to Buttons), but Photoshop Elements can ONLY edit those Layer Sets - NOT create them. Same could be true for features, such as Adjustment Layers. I am just not sure what PSE 11 is now capable of.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points