Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Menu themes - thumbnails are stretched

Feb 26, 2013 5:43 AM

I am using PE 11.  I'm creating a menu using one of the standard themes but the content in the scene thumbnails appear stretched with black bands above and below the image.  My clips were tqaken on a Canon HFS100 and show in 16:9 format.  I have tried several themes but the problem seems to be common to them all.  Is there any way of correcting the appearance of the images in the thumbnails?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2013 6:06 AM   in reply to NewToPremiereElements

This is an indication of a mismatch between your video footage and your project specs.

Have you ensured that the video you shot was shot in FXP or MXP format? It's important that you shot n AVCHD and not MP4 format.

You should ideally also have shot in the 60i frame rate.

Did you use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera tool to get this video from your camcorder into the program?

That said, if you look under Edit/Project Settings, which project settings are listed?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to NewToPremiereElements

You say your son "converting the clips to .mpg", which could be part of the problem.

Try using Premiere Elements' Add Media tools get the video (or some test video) from the camcorder over a
    USB connection, then place that footage on the timeline of  a new project. Add your menu template and see if you see the same problem. Even if you don't intend to recapture the footage, this will be a good test to see if what I think is wrong is actually what's wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 9:38 AM   in reply to NewToPremiereElements

Again, I'm a bit concerned about him sending you over the files -- unless he's able to use Premiere Elements to get the video from the camcorder to his computer.

As I said, it could well be that the process he's using to get the video from the camcorder to his computer (especially if it's converting it to an MPEG) is changing the video's format such that Premiere Elements isn't able to recognize the original camcorder's video specs.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to NewToPremiereElements

What do the video files your son gave you look like if you play them in a media player (just double-click them in Windows Explorer)?

If they look good start a new project with any project setting and drag the clip to the timeline. PRE will offer to correct the project setting for you. Let it.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers