Skip navigation
jamilscott
Currently Being Moderated

Fluid Grid insert functions are missing

Feb 26, 2013 7:08 AM

Tags: #dreamweaver #insert #layout #cs6 #grid #fluid

I am trying to edit an existing html file with a fluid grid layout.  My Layout toolbar doesn't show a fluid grid div widget, and when I go to the 'Insert:Layout' menu, the fluid grid option is also gone.  It used to be there.  How do I get it back?  I'm dead in the water until I figure this out.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 26, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to jamilscott

trying to edit an existing html file with a fluid grid layout.

You cannot use a 'Fluid Grid Div Tag' on a document that doesn't have a fluid grid stylesheet defined. Since you're starting to work with an 'existing' html file, this is not a possibility.

In Dreamweaver, Fluid Grid specific parameters can be used only within 'Fluid Grid Layout'.

2 solutions:

• If it is a simple existing page that you have which wont take too much time to recreate, start afresh with a Fluid Grid Layout - this will also let you make your entire site responsive
    • Write manual CSS code for your fluid element within your existing .html - a width tag with % value should do the trick

-ST

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to jamilscott

I am having the same problem but mine is when I try to create a NEW fluid grid layout on a new site. I can select New Fluid Grid Layout and the New Document menu appears. The only change I made to was to the Desktop changing the columns from 10 to 12. I did not attach a stylesheet because I haven't done that in the past with Fluid Grids that worked.

When I select Create the css page appears but with a blue, not green, background and different icons. Neither the Insert or Layout offer the Fluid Grid layout options.

Thanks,

Pete Saxon

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to falcon119

That's not my experience.

Which version & build of DW CS6 do you have?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Version 12.2 Build 6006

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to falcon119

I understand FluidGrid received some enhancements in the latest Cloud update(12.2). 

http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/release-note/ccm-release-february-2 013.html

One known issue is that FluidGrid doesn't seem to work if DocType is set to None.

Go to Modify > Page properties > Title/Encoding > select a DocType.  Hit Apply.

If that fails, file a bug report.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to jamilscott

I can report the same thing. I can not insert fluid divs after the last update. DocType is set to HTML5. Will submit a bug report and maybe re-install?

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 26, 2013 9:29 PM   in reply to BD Hokie

I've reported this to the DW Engineering team - one of them will look into it and will respond to this thread.

-ST

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 9:49 PM   in reply to falcon119

I am assuming you tried the following steps. Correct me if I am wrong.

1. Navigate to File->New Fluid Grid layout

2. Change the number of Grids for desktop to 10

3. Clicked on Create

4. Clicked "Save" on the Save Style Sheet File As dialog

If you are on a new site and this is the first time you are creating a Fluid Grid page, you will be prompted to save "boilerplate.css" and "respond.min.js". These files must be in your site to have the Fluid grid options enabled.

And yes the background is blue and not green. I am assuming you are seeing a dark blue border around the div and not the FG options correct?

If that is the case, can you try these?

-> Click on the div and see if the options are enabled?

-> Save the Fluid Grid file or do a "Save all"

If you are still unable to see the Fluid Grid options do send us a screenshot with the detailed steps. Also please make sure that the doctype chosen is not "None"

Thanks in advance,

Nithya

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 26, 2013 10:02 PM   in reply to Nithya.MV

Thank you for your quick response, Nithya.

@BD Hokie & @jamilscott: Nithya works with the DW Engineering team and she will help troubleshoot this issue, along with her team. Please provide as much information as possible to help them help you!

-ST

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 2:11 AM   in reply to jamilscott

All: A new blog post is made at the Adobe Dreamweaver team blog with a video on the updates made to Fluid Grids.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:53 AM   in reply to falcon119

When the focus is inside the Div then the boundary is green while when the focus is on Div Boundary (i.e the div is selected) then the boundary is blue.

One More thing: you said 'CSS page appears' so, In split view , on the left, is CSS shown instead of HTML(source code) ?

if thats the case then just click inside the Div in design view and things will be normal again.

'Neither the Insert or Layout offer the Fluid Grid layout options.'  were you looking for 'Insert Fluid Div' option ??

if thats the case then in new update all the tags under the Layout category act as fluid elements.

Steps to Insert a fluid element:

1. Select Insert > Layout.
    2. Select the element that you want to insert.
    3. In the dialog that appears, select a class, or enter a value for the ID. The Class menu displays classes from the CSS file that you specified when creating the page. The selected element is inserted on the layout.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to FG Expert

Thank you for your help. I figured out the routine. I was not entering the value for the ID correctly.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Mar 11, 2013 11:20 PM   in reply to falcon119

Follow-up question posted by Dueep Jyot Singh branched here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1168923

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points