Skip navigation
KEHJones
Currently Being Moderated

Unwanted footnote rules--even with rules turned OFF

Feb 26, 2013 12:18 PM

Tags: #import_word #footnote_formatting

When I import from MS Word, I am getting some unwanted rules above some, not all, footnotes in InDesign CS6. I tried going into "draft" view in Word and deleting the rules there before importing, but still have the same problem. This remains a problem even though I have the footnote rule turned off in InDesign. I also have the rule turned off in the footnote paragraph style. I don't know where these things are coming from, but I can't let them stay. If I can't find a solution in the next couple of days, my publication will not be able to use this program at all.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2013 1:14 PM   in reply to KEHJones

InDesign does not import any of Word's own Footnote settings. If these lines show up in InDesign, you can switch them off.

There are tons of ways to create lines above a footnote, but most of them are manual -- and I don't suppose they would end up after a plain import. Manual ways are: a line drawn with the Pen tool; lots of --------; an overstrike or underline that has been coaxed higher than their usual position; a table with all cell strokes except the top one off.

There is usually no need for such trickery, InDesign has a perfectly good Paragraph Rules Above option, which does the same job. And Paragraph Rules *do* get imported from Word.

Then again, even Paragraph Rules are in not necessary for footnotes, since they have their own rules. You already mentioned you switched them off in both the 'notes own style AND in the Footnote Options. What happens to the rule when you assign a random other style to a note? What happens to it when you insert a new note on a page which does not have one?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 1:17 PM   in reply to KEHJones

Okay, sorry--I see you know where to look.

What do you mean with "switching back and forth"? You know there are two separate rule settings? Merely "switching" the options don't change a thing, you have to disable the rule in *both* settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to KEHJones

Adding to the confusion, sometimes ID spontaneously forgets the settings for line over footnote and/or continued footnote.  The usual cure is to force a refresh by toggling the setting.  I try to remember to do this before my last save, but eagle-eyed proofers have caught my mistakes.

David

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points