Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Text Frame Auto-Size bug? Right margin changes?

Feb 26, 2013 11:30 AM

Tags: #bug #indesign #cs6 #auto-size

bug_01.JPG

Here is a rounded textbox with an inset of 4, vertical align center. I'm turning Auto-Size on, so the right edge grows as the text in the box gets longer.

bug_02.JPG

Width only, adjust only the right edge (that alignment UI is messed up BTW if any Adobe UX peeps read this - I ought to be clicking the right hand edge to get what I want!!).

Now I add an "r" to the end.

bug_03.JPG

Now, instead of the "r" I will add an "a". It's not much wider than the "r", and I'm not doing anything funky with the kerning. This font is also Helvetica Neue LT Std, so a premium tyepface.

bug_04.JPG

Notice how much more padding on the right there is? This makes no sense. Now, if I keep typing...

bug_05.JPG

... the padding appears to remain constant, or grow slightly.

My point here is that the inside padding is messed up. It should be 4px inset all around and that's the end of it. Something's off in your algorithm.

bug_06.JPG

YMMV depending on typeface it appears. Notice that Arial (the second one) appears to work better than Times New Roman.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2013 7:52 PM   in reply to tomaugerdotcom

I haven't tested, but I suspect this is realted to the rounded corners and you'd see a difference without them, as well as a differnt "padding" with a different corner radius.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to tomaugerdotcom

What is the horizontal justification set to? Is it set to centered also.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 7:07 AM   in reply to tomaugerdotcom

I think it's the size of the leading slug, which doesn't change in height, that makes a difference, not the height of the glyph itself. That's cetainly true for text wrap.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to tomaugerdotcom

I could be wrong, but I think if you look closely you'll find the same padding after the edge of the right bearing allowance on all of the different glyphs. It might be easier to see if you highlight the text, which will give you a bar that corresponds to the leading slug.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points