Skip navigation
Semann
Currently Being Moderated

Cropping with magic lasso and wand and polygon tool, no crop button

Feb 26, 2013 3:34 PM

Thank you. I can see the green check mark at bottom of photo to finish a square crop. But where is the button after selecting an area with magnetic lasso or wand to crop, unless this s is not used for cropping? Tutorial doesn't  mention neither the button nor cropping.

Note: I had to retype my question all over again, when I just clicked "submit question" and then this page pops up.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2013 5:06 PM   in reply to Semann

Go to Image menu>Crop.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 12:20 AM   in reply to Semann

What you want to do is not what is usually called 'cropping'. Cropping always yields a rectangular result. What you want to do is to 'cut' the outside part of a selection.

Simply invert the selection (menu select) and use 'delete' on your keyboard.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to Semann

Yes, what MichelB said. Every digital image, every single one, is rectangular or square. The illusion of other shapes is achieved by making the unwanted areas transparent, but you can never crop to any shape other than a rectangular one, in any program.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to Semann

Once, again, there is no program on earth that can do this. Many programs including PSE, can create transparent areas in an image but there is no digital image in existence that is not rectangular. When you use the magic extractor you are creating transparency, not cropping to a non-rectangular shape---the extractor does not crop your image in any way whatever. It's still exactly the same dimensions when you finish as it was when you entered the extractor. No version of Photoshop can do this, because it can't be done under current technology.

You can crop an image or you can isolate an object with transparency but those are not both the same thing.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points