Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I am having difficulty correcting the Testing Server setup in Dreamweaver CS4.

Feb 26, 2013 4:36 PM

Tags: #cs4 #error #dreamweaver

The http error codes are 404 (open DW) and 12150 (failed test URL).

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 26, 2013 10:26 PM   in reply to Moore6931

This must be something to do with your site definition. Can you take a couple of screenshots of your Local, Testing & Remote servers and post them here? (Strip off your username section for FTP if you'd feel more secure that way).

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 27, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to Moore6931

Your remote server settings should ideally be configured for the FTP and not 'Local/ network'.

http://butlerccwebdev.net/support/cs4-ftp-details.jpg

FTP host is your web server's hostname (domain name should work as well)

Host directory is the directory within your main domain that you're publishing these files to

Login & password as provided by your web host service provider

Enable passive FTP.

For testing server, are you using a ColdFusion environment to test files? Or are your files plain HTML? If they're plain HTML, remove 'ColdFusion' from Server Model. Because if you choose 'ColdFusion', you need a ColdFusion server running to be able to test your files.

In your case I see you're using the same location for both Testing and Local - so you need not really define a testing server. Your local server should be able to serve as a testing server as well for 'Preview in Browser'. For remote server (if you want to manage files on your FTP remote server via Dreamweaver), configure based on the screenshot attached here.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to Moore6931

I keep my local site folder in my testing server (c:\wamp).  Testing server's url is localhost.

CS6-testingServer1.jpg

Advanced tab, select your server model.

CS6-testing-server-advanced.jpg

Final screen.

CS6-testingServerFinalScreen.jpg

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to Moore6931

If you're not using server-side scripts or databases or web fonts, you don't need a testing server.  You can preview files locally in any browser without one.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 27, 2013 8:02 PM   in reply to Moore6931

Please see my responses inline below:

Moore6931 wrote:

I thank you for your help but I don't understand.

1. At this time, I edit the web site locally.  When the changes are completed, then I copy the files to the remote (Go Daddy) server, with FTP.

Perfect. In that case, I'm not even going to try to change you to use Dreamweaver's in-built FTP as that will probably confuse you at this stage. In this case, go to 'Remote Info' and make it 'None' - remove all credentials from there - we dont need it configured within Dreamweaver if we aren't using it.

2. Because my edits are local, testing of the files is local.  In fact, I normally disable the network connection, when I don't need it open.

Go to 'Testing Server' and make it 'None' and remove all credentials - make it blank too. Since you're not using any 'dynamic' services, we don't need to configure one. Your previews can happen via your browser from your 'Local files'.

3. Go Daddy uses PHP on Linux servers for hosting.

Well, Go Daddy also gives you a variety of other options - but I'm assuming you've purchased a Linux hosting setup with PHP running on it. Let's not worry about PHP here because you're not using PHP to develop your website.

4. Since I'm not adept with computers, computer terminology and computer configurations, I try to leave settings at default.

The only thing you'll need to keep 'as is' is your 'Local Info'. Other than that, remove both 'Testing' and 'Remote' configurations. You should get going in no time.

5. I am unsure of the test server requirement.  The descriptions of a "dynamic" page are not clear, to me.  My web site uses,

a. html,

b. An XML data page for sorting my photographs,

c. Spry cascading tables,

d. Scrolling photo thumbnails,

e. Links to pdf files and

f. E-mail contact.

A regular HTML website is usually 'static' - as all the content you have within it is 'hard-coded' or 'hand-written' into it. A PHP/ ASP/ JSP/ CFM code is usually 'dynamic' - meaning only the master template is usually made with code. The actual content is fetched from a database or an external source. And to do this (to fetch data from a database), this type of code has to run on a server-environment. That is the only primary difference between 'static' and 'dynamic' webpages. Not getting into the details of it as I'm unsure if that's going to confuse you more!

If this is not clear, please see me web site.

http://envisioningmoore.com

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 27, 2013 10:20 PM   in reply to Moore6931

You're welcome, Moore. Happy to help

Please feel free to post for any further clarifications.

-ST

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points