Skip navigation
hey Aaron
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CS6, Extremely Long Export Times - ProRes

Feb 26, 2013 8:06 PM

All,

Trying to figureout what I'm doing wrong. My sequence is 1920x1080, 29.97 and ProRes 422. The entire thing has already been rendered. I've checked "Use Previews"

See below:

Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 8.00.11 PM(1).jpg

Any suggestions? It's a 5:30 sequence.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to hey Aaron

PP can't Use Previews going to QuickTime.  I suspect it has to do with the 32 bit nature of QuickTime and the 'band-aid" Adobe requires to make it work in a 64 bit program.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 2:01 PM   in reply to hey Aaron

QuickTime isn't a codec, it's a multimedia framework.

Basically, don't use QuickTime anything and you're good.

However, for best export quality you'll want those preview files to be as high quality as possible, preferably Uncompressed or something lossless.  I like the UT codec, which works under AVI for Windows.  On a Mac, not sure you can do it, as any lossless would use QT.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 3:30 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon's advice is only relevant for Windows users.   hey Aaron is clearly using a Mac.

I export to QT often, and I use previews. 

The correct answer is "Sometimes it uses the previews, others it just re-renders everything on export."  It depends on what switches you throw in the Export window, and what your Sequence Settings for Previews is.  If your Sequence Previews are the same codec as your export codec, then your exports should use your Previews, and go faster.  It works more reliably on CS6 than previous versions, in my experience.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:01 PM   in reply to hey Aaron

What are your Sequence Preview settings?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:20 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

If your Sequence Previews are the same codec as your export codec, then your exports should use your Previews, and go faster.

They don't really need to be the same.  Working properly, the preview file should be used to create the export, rather than rendering new frames from scratch during export.  But I thought there was a problem when both preview and export were QuickTime.  Is that no longer the case with CS6?  It does seem Aaron is still have that same old issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

It seems hit and miss when I use ProRes for the Preview codec and export h.264 for reviews.  But, you're right, it should speed up exports regardless.  That's the intended behavior.  But, I've read a lot of posts here where it's not working correctly on Mac.  CS6 and previous. 

This isn't scientific, BTW, just recalling my own experiences.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:37 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

It seems hit and miss when I use ProRes for the Preview codec and export h.264 for reviews.

That should work, since the export is not QuickTime.  The failure comes when both preview and export are QT.  I believe this applies to both Macs and PCs.  It's a limitaion of QuickTime.

The problem is that you really do want lossless for the previews if you're going to use them for export, and I don't think you can get lossless previews on a Mac without using QT.  Which means for a QT export, you simply can't Use Previews (or at least, it won't work if you do).  On Windows, you can get lossless with an AVI, which should work for a QT export.  You just can't get a ProRes QT on Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:53 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

All video movies on Mac are Quicktime, even uncompressed, which can be achieved with Quicktime None or Animation 100%.  Both of those are 8-bit, though, which would defeat "Use Maximum Render Quality," if so desired.

IINM, image sequences may not require QT.  But, then you migh have issues if the next app in the transcode process don't accept image sequences.  And they're not available as a Preview File Format on Mac.

However, ProRes is a perfectly fine preview file format.  It's just that Pr doesn't always use the Previews on export, the way it should.

I usually master to ProRes, and when doing so, Pr usually will use the Previews, and they are fast.

In any event, I don't normally experience the overly long exports from Pr.  Looking back at the OP, a 2 hour export for a 5:30 sequence is outragous, and I believe is a sign of something else amiss, other than typical Pr behavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 8:45 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

It's just that Pr doesn't always use the Previews on export, the way it should.

That's what I'm saying.  QT previews to QT export has trouble, even on the PC side.

QT preview to any other export should always work.  Any other preview to QT export should always work.  Are you saying you have trouble even when one of them isn't QT?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

a 2 hour export for a 5:30 sequence is outragous, and I believe is a sign of something else amiss, other than typical Pr behavior.

Quite possibly.  Depends on the complexity of the sequence, effects used, Aaron's hardware, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to hey Aaron

I'd say something is definitely wrong.  CUDA should be speeding things up, not so drastically slowing them down.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Yes.  I'd try re-installing the CUDA and nVidia drivers.  You can get the standalone installers from the nVidia site.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 4:12 PM   in reply to hey Aaron

I've not heard of any banding issues using CUDA acceleration.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points