Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PP CS6 PageUp & PageDn shortcut keys not working

Feb 26, 2013 9:18 PM

Tags: #not #working #edit #track #keyboard #to #point #next #previous #any #shortcuts #go #pageup #pagedn

Heads up... This may look like a simple topic that's been covered before, but read on and you'll see it's different.

I've been using Premiere since v5.5 (Windows 95, not CS 5.5!). I use lots of shortcut keys for all my apps. Premiere has always used PageUp and PageDn to move the cursor to the next edit point (any cut video or audio clip). In PP CS6, I went into change the shortcut keys for those two commands to the same ones I've been using for years. PP CS6 has two sets of options for cursor movements: Selected Track(s) or Any Track. The Any Track is the way it's worked before in earlier versions of PP. I set the Any Tracks Next/Previous to PageDown and PageUp respectively. The actual keystrokes appear in the hot-key window when I press them so I know PP sees the keys and knows what they are.

When I saved the shortcuts and went to the timeline... nada. PgUp and PgDn do nothing. This has nothing to do with selected video tracks as I'm using the Any Tracks option. To do a further test, I changed the shortcut keys to Ctrl+PgUp and Ctr+PgDn for Any Track. When I  tested that out, it worked perfectly. So this appears to be a bug of some kind. I've been using PgUp and  PgDn for many years. I certainly don't want to have to hold the Ctrl key down while Paging Up and Down to move around the project from clip to clip!

Does anyone have a solution to this one?

Thanks for your help...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2013 10:12 PM   in reply to thetasound

Arrow up, arrow down. Another useless change brought to you by Adobe and CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 11:59 PM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

At the risk of being trampled all over I like this change as my MacBook Pro doesn't have unique Page Up/Down keys :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 12:41 AM   in reply to thetasound

"But you can set any shortcut key to suit whatever keys you have available."

Yeah, I know, but every now and then I have to reinstall and then there's the agony of changing again from the defaults :-( In the end, like 'em or hate 'em, sticking with the defaults usually makes for an easier life. I say that as someone who has been commercially programming since 1967 and forced to use practically every crazy language and stupid machine ever invented ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:37 AM   in reply to thetasound

What happens if you set the Targeted track to the Page keys?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to thetasound

I just figured this out!

Mind you, this is in CC version:

I manually tried to change the Next Edit Point to Page Down, like you have without success. Then I discovered for some reason - the "Show Next Page" setting was still set to Page Down. So I cleared that for both Show Next/Previous Page, and voila - the Page Up/Down started working on like it did in CS5.

I hope this solution works in your current version of PremierePro.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2014 11:32 AM   in reply to HeyBishop

This was driving me CRAAAAAAZZZZZZYYYYY!!  I am learning Premiere, coming from Avid.  Still using Avid, but I also edit on FCP7 at times and figured it would be a good time to learn Premiere since who knows how long FCP7 will be around.  Basically, just saying thank you because this worked for me!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points