Skip navigation
Don9279
Currently Being Moderated

Hyperlinked document will not open after compiling

Feb 27, 2013 6:00 AM

I have created hyperlinks to a couple of documents (one Word and one PDF), I have set the Options to "Open in a New Window".  When I do a "view" from within Robohelp the docs open properly but after I have compiled the project the docs will not open... what am I missing??

Replies
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Feb 27, 2013 6:12 AM   in reply to Don9279

Can you please tell us what output you are generating and what you mean by "will not open".

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to Don9279

Have you added the document as baggage? If not, you will need to ensure it is copied to the location where it is expected to be found.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Feb 27, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to Don9279

Try amending the file name to remove the period (e.g. RelNote_FLS_WebHelp_15.doc). Also is the same happening in other browsers? It maybe down to how your browser treats popups.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 7:06 AM   in reply to Don9279

Another thing to note is how exactly you are testing. Are you testing on your local PC immediately after generating? And if you are, are you using the Mark Of The Web option? If so, that option will typically prevent links such as these from working. A better solution for testing would be to avoid enabling Mark Of The Web and configure your browser so that Active Content is allowed.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Feb 27, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to Don9279

Unless you are using the latest RH version - RH10 - viewing WebHelp locally using Chrome won't work. Have you tried Firefox?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to Don9279

That's because you're running into the local file Chrome security issue - you must not be using RH10

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to Don9279

The thing to consider here is WHERE your end users will access the help from. Is it from a web server? If so, Mark Of The Web is totally moot and makes zero difference when content is viewed from the server. Its only purpose is for when the HTML content is on the local C drive and you access the files that way.

And turning it off is simply causing the generation process to no longer insert a single line of code in each topic.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points