Skip navigation
BrianMaurer
Currently Being Moderated

Secondary Audio Track Won't Play

Feb 27, 2013 9:33 AM

I am looking for some thoughts on what may be causing a rather strange issue. I'm using CS 5.5, Encore of course, and I'm authoring a BDD. I've had no trouble at all with authoring a DVD, so I'm a little confused as to what might be happening here. I've got the feature's video on the first video track, per usual, and its matching audio on Audio 1. I have a commentary track on Audio 2. Both of them are .wav files. My first button on the menu links to that timeline, and that works great. The second button I have is a commentary track for that feature. I have used the "Specify Link" option, and selected the correct video track, and the second audio track for that corresponding timeline, with the hopes that it would play the commentary track when selected, just as it should. When I do a disc preview, and I click the second menu button, everything works fine, the video of the feature plays, and the commentary track (audio track 2) works great. When I burn the disc to a BDD, or an Image that I've used to burn using different software (just as a test), when played in a  BDD player, and clicked on the second menu button, the video plays great, but the audio is track one. I've burned through 4 discs so far trying to find out what might be the problem, and haven't had any luck. Any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to BrianMaurer

Can you post a screenshot of your flowchart?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 6:05 PM   in reply to BrianMaurer

What happens if you hit the Audio button the BD player's remote during playback?  Can you get the second audio that way?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 8:16 PM   in reply to BrianMaurer

Did a simple test. BD project with one menu with two buttons. One links to a timeline; the other specified link with audio track 2. Burned to BD-RE. Plays correctly on a bluray player. You did not describe specifying the link for button one as audio track one, so I set it up that one. Once button 2/track 2 plays, the disk does not return to track 1. But that is expected.

my BD remote shows only 2 tracks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 12:40 AM   in reply to BrianMaurer

Hi Brian,

I have the same issue; I'm working on a project, and in the main menu, I have 4 buttons (french, german, italian & spanish), so the client can choose the language, then in the sub-menu, he can choose one of the 5 differents scenes (chapters). Everything works fine in the preview window, but when I create a flash file, the film is playing only one language... If I burn a DVD, then everything works fine... So I checked the .swf produced files, and I saw that only 5 .swf files were produced, so only 1 language and 5 files (1 file per chapter)... really no idea of what's wrong, I followed some tutorials, but always the same problem.

If I find a solution, I will post it.

Regards,

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to BrianMaurer

If I cycle through them during playback, yes, the audio commentary track (track 2) will play.

OK.  Try the disk on another player.  What behavior do you see?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to BrianMaurer

the audio commentary track is about 30 seconds longer than the video track. Would that cause it to audo default to the first audio track? Even though you're telling it to go with track 2?

It shouldn't, but nothing is making sense of what you are seeing.

So you put it on audio track 2 and drag the end so they are the same length?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to BrianMaurer

I would expect it to throw some kind of error, but I would certainly try adjusting the length in Encore. Revert to original, then change it, then transcode.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to BrianMaurer

Thanks for reporting back.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to BrianMaurer

I've adjusted my project according to Brian'statement, so I made all audio tracks and video track the same length, but it still doesn't work when I create the flash file. It plays only 1 audio track, whatever language you choose. It plays the audio track that is"active" in the project. This happens only with the flash. If I burn a DVD, then everything works fine... Am I doing something wrong ?

printscreen_encoreCS6.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to EricP_CH

It may be a limitation of Flash.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I tried with F4V and FLV, and I get your results. Neither includes more than one audio track - and I believe flash probably does not support more than one track. For Encore to support this, there would need to be multiple video/audio files produced.

You can put a different language on different timelines, but only one per timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 11:36 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Thank you Jim and Stan, you're right, this is a limitation of flash. I found a documentation in french telling that flash does not support multiple audio tracks.

There might be a solution: let Encore produce the files in 1 language, then produce the files again but in another language, and finally adapt the XML file (AuthoredContent.xml). I will explore this solution later on, and if I'm successful, I will post the solution.

Again many thanks all.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 4:37 AM   in reply to EricP_CH

There might be a solution: let Encore produce the files in 1 language, then produce the files again but in another language, and finally adapt the XML file (AuthoredContent.xml). I will explore this solution later on, and if I'm successful, I will post the solution.

I believe this is very possible. Please let us know.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points