Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Scratch Disc Selection with 1 Internal & 1 External Drive

Feb 27, 2013 12:15 PM

Tags: #help #windows_7 #premiere_elements_9

Scratch disc preferences.JPG

I searched around the forum to find what settings you guys might use if you had only two drives to work with and wanted to save the main drive from doing a lot of thrashing round. I got a little confused with the various selections in the scratch disc preferences window. I know you guys are using several drives, but a lot of people only have the main drive in which case everything could be left alone as in the screenshot with Adobe default selections.

I am importing AVI from VHS through Pyro AV Link. Can you walk through the settings in the window screenshot and where would you save what? Which in main drive and which in external drive (1TB 7200 rpm esata). Thanks

I forgot to add that I am using PrE9

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to head spin

With an eSATA external, you have an external that is very close to being the same as a SATA internal.

I use IEEE-1394b (FireWire 800) externals, as I migrate my Projects between computers, so I have everything, Projects, Assets, all Scratch Disks and Exports/Shares on my externals. That works very well, and your eSATA should be about 1.5 - 2x faster than my FW-800's.

Separating the OS, the program and your Windows Virtual Memory (if on Windows) on your internal C:\, and your Projects with EVERYTHING else on the eSATA will be the best that you can get.

Also, when setting up your Projects on that eSATA external, this article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4028199#4028199

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to head spin

No. Sorry for any confusion. Leave PrE, the OS, all other programs, and the Windows Virtual Memory Page File, on C:\.

Just locate your Projects, the Assets and the PrE Scratch Disks (various folders), onto your eSATA external.

And zero partitons, as they slow things down, and are basically a holdover from when OS's could not access larger HDD's.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 6:15 PM   in reply to head spin

I know you do capured video on one drive, captured audio on another, etc. But most people don't haved that many drives so I was hoping to keep it simple.

The multiple HDD (and RAID arrays for some), is the realm of a video workstation, and the majority of PrE users will not be building a special computer, just for video editing.

While I have multiple HDD's, on both the laptop and the workstation, that was basically from when I was doing commercial video editing. Still, they come in handy, but one can manage nicely with your setup. My new laptop will also have 3 physical HDD's, but I am set in my ways, and pay extra for such. Still, to migrate Projects, I will do about what I am recommending to you - Projects, Copies of Assets, and Premiere Scratch Disks on the external.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to head spin

I would also set the Media Cache files to Same As Project, to keep those all together, and to not use the C:\ more often, than necessary.

As for the Windows Page File, if one has a 64-bit OS, and plenty of installed RAM, it gets used less, than when all OS's were 32-bit, and the ~ 3.5GB RAM was all that one could have. I create a statically managed Page File, as soon as the OS has been installed, before any programs have been installed. Back in the 32-bit OS days, I would create that at ~ 2.5x the installed RAM, so ~ 10GB in size. Two reasons for doing the Page File as static, and as my first operation is that HDD location, that you mention, and a dynamically managed Page File requires CPU cycles, and OS work, to expand/contract it. With video editing, I know that I will be using some Page File, so just set it up (~ 1.5x the installed RAM is probably more than enough with a 64-bit OS) to be there for me.

If one is changing the management, the location or the size of the Page File, with a bunch of programs installed, then it will be moved further into the interior of the HDD. With a 64-bit OS and plenty of installed RAM, I doubt that one could ever tell that the performance was down a bit.

Also, there is now another consideration - Win7 & Win8 are both more efficient at managing the Page File, than was XP or Vista. They could probably be set to be dynamically managed, and with a fast CPU, one would never notice. Still, as I have plenty HDD space, and want my Page File to be in the same spot always, I still use static management. If one has Win7, or Win8 in 64-bit w/ an SSD boot drive w/ plenty of space, I'd expect that they would never even notice the OS's accessing the Page File - it would be virtually transparent in its operation.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to head spin

You are most welcome.

Happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This