Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cleaning up after doing a live trace

Feb 27, 2013 1:24 PM

Hi all! I did a live trace and it did pretty well. The image I traced was fairly simple. But I ended up with a lot of extra pieces in what should be a solid color. I've tried Select > Object > Stray points, but that didn't work. I have large area that I want to be one solid piece. Within this area, there are lots of little "pieces" that are the same color... How do I merge them all into one piece? I tried "Unite" in the pathfinder, and that didn't work, either.

In case I'm not being clear, basically, I want to do what the "smooth" function does in Photoshop... but in Illustrator.

I'm using CS6 on a Mac. Thanks!

Julie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 1:33 PM   in reply to Kenford

You shouldn't end up cleaning up after your trace. Better adjust the options so that the trace is clean.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 2:35 PM   in reply to Kenford

It’s the Minimum Area setting in Tracing Options that will help you get rid of small pieces.

The larger the number, the cleaner the trace will be.

Use it with discretion all the same and click on Preview when you think it’s about right.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to Kenford

Now you tell me! :-)

I was in a hurry... I will practice doing the tracing options so that it turns out cleaner the next time around. I just couldn't get a good trace AND no little pieces yesterday. Obviously I need to play with the settings more. THank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 4:09 PM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

I also find that when tracing high-res scans of B&W art, AI leaves an unnecessary layer of white underneath the black (making the file twice the size it needs to be). You can direct-select-click a black edge, invert the selection (option or alt-drag) to get the corresponding white path underneath, then Select>Same>Fill Color, and delete.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points