Skip navigation
sportwarrior14
Currently Being Moderated

Applying Clipping/Transparency Mask to all layers?

Feb 27, 2013 2:36 PM

Tags: #transparency #opacity #masks #work_path

Alright, so I'm about to rip my hair out. I'm a Photoshop guy who occasionally vectorizes stuff into Illustrator CS4 by exporting work paths. Usually it works fine, but it's been a few years since I've done this and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to apply an opacity mask to an area of a layer so that it is transparent through all objects of the layer down to the background.

Basically, I created an image with text in Photoshop. I exported work paths to illustrator and colored/filled in all the objects. I need to cut out certain parts of the image so that they're transparent through to the background so that when the image is printed up on a shirt, fabric shows through rather than ink. This sounds like a stupid question, and it probably is, but I just can't get it to work.

I've gone through all the steps of creating an opacity mask, but every time I make the object transparent, I just get a white fill from an underlying object. It will not cut through to the transparent background. I need to get this object to cut through all layers. I'll admit that a huge part of the problem is my inability to adapt to an "Illustrator" way of thinking, so this is undoubtedly easy but I just can't get my brain wrapped around a solution. Can anyone help?

Logo Issue.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 4:48 PM   in reply to sportwarrior14

there is a simpler way:

1. Do one of the following:
      • Group together the objects you want to use, and select the group.
      • Move the objects you want to use into a separate layer, and target the layer.
    2. Choose Effect > Pathfinder and choose a Pathfinder effect

for source reference, see this link

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e0 7d0100196cbc5f-6462a.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points