Skip navigation
daveharr1s0n
Currently Being Moderated

Why won't Behaviors 'Open Browser Window' work on my page?

Feb 27, 2013 4:42 PM

OK, for you Dreamweaver/JavaScript wizards out there, ...

I've been taking a look at an old project I've never been completely happy with. It's a site for a restaurant, and I want to add a menu. Being limited by fixed width and all, I'm thinking of using the Open Browser Window feature found in Dreamweaver's Behaviors panel. I recently learned (here) how to do that, and like the way it works with pdf files, et cetera. But on this particular page it won't seem to work.

I have in the header some JavaScript for three (or four, I forget) images for a little animation. When I try adding the Open Browser Window to the "Menus" link in the sidebar, not only does it fail to open a new window on that page, but it also stops the cherubs wings from flapping.

Is there some competing JavaScript?

Here's a link, if it helps: http://www.daveharrison.info/cafeLaBellitalia

Thanks for taking a look, and for any advice you can offer.

Dave

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 4:55 PM   in reply to daveharr1s0n

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:19 PM   in reply to daveharr1s0n

If I add the behavior it seems to kill the cherubs.

Is that a bad thing?  You could use an animated gif of cherubs in place of JavaScript.  One that stops animating after a set number of iterations would be nice.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:36 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

>One that stops animating after a set number of iterations would be nice.

I couldn't agree more. Movement on a webpage is useful to draw the visitors attention to something important. In this case, it only ends up being a distraction when you are trying to read the content on the page. They are cute though.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to daveharr1s0n

I think it's a focus problem.  When new document opens in a new browser window, the focus shifts away from the parent page and the animated script stops running.  I don't think you can overcome this.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points