Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Smooth path tool (for pen tool).

Feb 27, 2013 4:30 PM

Tags: #smoothing #smoothness #path_segments #smooth_path #smooth_curves

Hello, all.

I believe I remember using this tool or function in the past but can't seem to find it now.

In the past I have traced the outline of an image using the pen tool by placing as many points along the countour or outline as possible. Once I closed the path the appearance was not perfectly smooth. I remember using a tool after that to smooth the path that would eliminate any uneven or jagged edges and make the curves really smooth.

Does anyone know how to do this in CS6?

Thank you in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 5:00 PM   in reply to Joe_Caldwell

I may not understand your question, but I suspect you're not using the pen tool as it was designed. The best bezier path uses as FEW points as possible to make the perfect path. Each bezier curve is composed of two anchor points and two control points. It takes some practice, but any shape can be accurately drawn using bezier curves (pen tool).

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e 41001031ab64-73a0a.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to Joe_Caldwell

I know there's a path-smoothing tool in Illustrator, but I don't know of one in Photoshop. If you're making masks, this helped me a lot, (and it doesn't use paths):  :+)

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-russell-brown-show/masking-basics-in-pho toshop-cs5/

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to Joe_Caldwell

I'm not familiar with your workflow requiring path smoothing. Illustrator has more of a path "simplify" command than a "smooth" thing (although if all your paths are curves, it does pretty well at smoothing/removing points), and it might work for your project. AI's path simplification has nothing to do with the content of a photo, so if that's what you need, then it may be a good solution. If all you need is a manual path for filling, then the pen tool (without smoothing) is a good option, but you already said it's too tedious for you. (Once you get used to it, though, it's really great.) That video link shows a different "intelligent" set of techniques for acquiring an outline/mask/selection from photographs. I highly recommend it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 8:48 PM   in reply to Joe_Caldwell

Make a selection the shape you want then convert it to a path.  There are options for how smooth you want it as I recall.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points