Skip navigation
jamesd89
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?

Feb 27, 2013 5:51 PM

Tags: #photoshop #help #mac #crash #ps #freeze #cs6 #window #snow_leopard #hang #stuck #10.6 #sl

Hi all,

I'm IT support to a team of studio artists who are having some issues with our newly upgrade CS6 Premium suite (Mac OS 10.6 + Mac OS 10.8).

Situation: (Mac OS 10.6 problem) someone will be working on a 2GB network file, and tries to open a PDF to import elements into the current document. Machine has 12GB RAM (7 allocated to PS, 2 free, the rest used with OS/other apps).

After choosing the PDF file, the window will pop up and become 'stuck' in front of all other windows, all other programs. Activity Monitor describes PS as hung (red text) but Finder still recognises it as working (but will not show the program title in the menu bar). It is possible to CMD+TAB between programs, and the pallets recognise mouse-over actions but are unresponsive to click. Again, "Import" window is on top of all other windows, and can be moved but does not respond to mouse clicks.

Activity Monitor also shows intense disk activity (60-80MB/s) on local volumes. It appears not to be network activity though (while hanging, 50-150KB/s). RAM allocation doesn't change during this time.

If you can be patient enough, the system often recovers PS, but this can take a few minutes.

The extreme disk activity implies that PS is processing on the scratch disk, but what or why is it doing this, and is there any way to disable it. Would it have anything to do with Background Save or Autosave? Something to do with purging memory?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

James D.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 6:13 PM   in reply to jamesd89

Do you get the same hang if you copy the file to your local machine first, then open it?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 8:03 PM   in reply to jamesd89

If the whole computer froze - then you're looking at hardware problems, OS bugs, or low level driver bugs.

But without more details, it just sounds like it's taking a lot of time to process a huge file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 12:08 AM   in reply to jamesd89

If you rasterize at a large size, or if the contents of the PDF decompress to something large - Photoshop will have to page data to the scratch file. As you allocate memory (RAM), the OS will also grow it's swapfile - both of which cause disk activity beyond just reading the PDF file.  Plus the PDF can reference fonts and color profiles that need to be loaded,  and could reference linked files that have to be loaded, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 6:18 PM   in reply to jamesd89

Without seeing the files involved, it sounds expected.

There might be a real problem - but I'd have to examine the files to determine that.

Photoshop should not force anything on top of other applications, nor interfere with the window server.

We have some cases where we think other applications (browsers) are causing similar issues, but nothing that we can determine is caused by Photoshop itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to jamesd89

I also experience this problem.  Everyday!

CS6, MAC 10.6.8

I work at a print shop, and customers always send PDF files.  Not beacuse their vector.  Raster files are sent as PDF's as well.

Everytime I open up a PDF in Adobe Photoshop, the program freezes for about 5 Min or more.  I cant exit out, only force quit the program.  The only work-around I know of is to convert to tiff in acrobat or illustrator.  Super annoying work-around.  Adobe Photoshop should know what you trying to do.

Adobe should fix this.  I dont think were the only ones who experence this problem......

Also Chris Cox, you should have a more helpful attitude.  Sounds like you trying to play the blame game....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 11:13 AM   in reply to NightRed_

Excuse me?

I'm trying to help here.

But without example files to examine and reproduce the problem, we can't do much.

And it's not blame when you tell someone the truth about where the problem exists (ie: whole system freezing has to be hardware, OS or drivers).

My guess is that this is not a core Photoshop problem (or we'd be hearing a lot more complaints and see the problem ourselves), but something in a font manager or other utility that only happens to people who have that utility installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Give me an email and I will send the next PDF that crashes Photoshop.

CS6, MAC 10.6.8

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to NightRed_

ccox (at) adobe (dot) com

Also, this was talking about hangs, not crashes.

Hangs/freezes and crashes are very different things.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Sent you an email.  Never got a response.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to NightRed_

Exact same problem here.

If you start afresh and open a PDF it will open with no problems.

The next time you try there is a 50:50 chance the Photoshop PDF dialogue box will freeze.

The longer Photoshop has been open, the worse it gets - until there is a 100% chance any PDF will freeze PS.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to jamesd89

Exactly the same for me - as described by VMount, with all the 8 minute hangs and furious drive bashing described, all for a simple pdf import.

FYI - this happened to me with CS3/4 on a PPC and Intel Tower, also, I've now got a MacBook Pro using CS6 and the problem continues

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 2:55 PM   in reply to JointyJr

I'm having the exact same problem. And it does seem like the longer photoshop is open, the more it happens. I think it might be font related — when I converted a file to outlines and made a pdf, I was able to open it in photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 4, 2013 11:59 PM   in reply to eastbayLA

eastbayLA, this might be useful information. Is it the case as well for other members?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

I've had exactly the same problem since installing CS6. Seems worse the longer Photoshop has been running. Even the simplest PDF causes the hang. If I re-start Photoshop the next PDF seems to open OK, but then the problem returns quickly.

If I wait five+ minutes the problem usually resolves itself, but it's quicker to force-quit Photoshop and start again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to jamesd89

Hi all, add me to the list of people that has had this issue for a long time, and like JointyJr I think it's even been since CS3...

As some of you suggest it might have something to do with font management; could Fontagent Pro be involved? I've been using this font manager and the plugins that come with it over the same period that this bug has been around, but I guess it would be too much of a coincidence that all of you are using Fontagent Pro as well?

I have suspected it of being involved in other strange behaviour like program errors and freezes, also within Photoshop, so even if just for the sake of ruling it out... anyone?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to Señor Pobbin

Definately not any font management software causeing this - I have none installed, I'm just using Font Book.

Using fseventer I saw only two noatble processes writing to my hard drive was "com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist" and there was something being written in private/var/folders/z1 "PSNormalizer" .

Spotlight was also up to somehting too.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 12:53 PM   in reply to JointyJr

Count me as another having the same problem (CS6 & Mac OS 10.6.8). I need to open pdfs in Photoshop all the time and it's driving me crazy!

Basically I open a pdf and the Import PDF dialog box pops up, but then hangs for 3-4 minutes. I'd estimate it happens about 50% of the time. I haven't been able to figure out any pattern as to why it happens or doesn't happen.

I also have CS5 installed and have never had the same issue there (with the same pdfs).

Any ideas???

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to jamesd89

Same issue here. Was there ever a solution?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points