Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline

Feb 27, 2013 8:06 PM

I am running Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7, 64 bit, with all the latest updates.

I'm getting some weird automatic scrolling of the timeline happening.

When I hover the mouse pointer anywhere on the left side of the screen, (including over the "File" menu bar portion) the timeline automatically starts scrolling left.

When I hover the mouse pointer anywhere on the right side of the screen (like over the vertical scroll bar), the timeline automatically scrolls right.

The only way to stop the scrolling is to move the mouse pointer away from the sides of the screen.

This seems like an error -- but did I accidentally turn on some feature?

Any suggestions how to get proper control back?
Thanks,

Nick

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2013 8:12 PM   in reply to nickpudar

Hi, nickpudar. This forum is for Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements has its own forum, which is the best place to ask for help with video problems. I'll move this for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 8:42 PM   in reply to nickpudar

Nick,

I think that you are in the correct one now.

I have noticed some display anomalies in PrE 11 too, but not what you describe. I have some odd flashing (usually from a previous screen, like Save) in the Program Monitor, depending on where the mouse Cursor is. I checked for an update for my nVidia GeForce 8800M (laptop) for Windows XP-Pro, and I have the latest (but it's from 2012).

If you have not explored an update for your display, I would go to the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site, and check for a newer driver. I wish you better luck, than I am having.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 5:07 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

A lot of it depends on where the CTI (playhead) is positioned. The timeline wants to keep the CTI visible. If you've scrolled down the timeline so that the CTI goes off the edge of the screen, it will sometimes jump to centerring the CTI when you try to add a new clip or effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 6:37 AM   in reply to nickpudar

Might want to check the mouse settings in windows or reinstal/update the mouse driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to nickpudar

I am experiencing this same issue.  I'm also running PE11, current on updates, on Win 7 64bit.   My experience is that it's rare, but anoying.

I haven't experienced this in any of my other projects but the one I'm currently working on.  When I (re)open the project, it's fine, but once I start marking key frames and manipulating a clip, the mouse behaves as if I've right clicked on the timeline scroll bar and won't stop scrolling the timeline to the left and right unless I position the mouse in the center of the screen. 

I'll suggest it's not a video driver issue since I'm only experiencing this in one project, but I'd like to hear from others if there's some preference option that I've enabled thats causing this behavior, or if there's some way I can "reset" project to behave like my  others.

Regards,

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to JimB65

And where is the CTI playhead positioned when this happens?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Thanks for looking into this o promptly.  It's in the middle of the clip I'm marking.  It just happened again to me, and I'm paying a bit more attention to what happens when it occurs. 

All is well as I'm working on a video track,  using the "go to next/previous keymark" arrows, which moves the CTI.  I want to fade to black so I right click and hold to drop the marker, but when I release the right mouse button, the diamond marker is "stuck" and moves left/right/up/down as I move the mouse.  (unexpected behavior)  I have to right click the mouse a couple of times to get it to release the key frame marker.

Now when I move the mouse to the far left to select the "next keymark" arrow, the CTI stays put on the timeline and scrolls off the screen on the right as I move the mouse to the left, dragging the whole timeline back to the beginning.  The keyframe that I just dropped is somehow corrupt.  The CTI won't land there if I click next/previous and if I put the CTI on top of it and try to delete it, it stays on the screen.  Deleting the clip from the timeline and inserting it again (loosing my markers) returns me to a stable state.

I'm guessing it's a mouse driver.  My PC is a Dell laptop and I'm using a USB connected mouse and keyboard, rather than the touchpad.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 12:19 PM   in reply to JimB65

Also had this same issue but not every time and in varying degrees - sometimes just when at extreme left or right, other times like above.... weird.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to nickpudar

It's been a week since I installed the drivers from my mouse vendor (Kensington), and I haven't had the problem.  Hope I don't jinx it with this post.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points