Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

elements organiser problem

Feb 28, 2013 4:27 AM

I downloaded raw and JPeg files from camera to standby pc, from standby pc via external hard drive to my main pc. all seems well.

I stacked each RAW and JPEG file as recommended and now I find that each file has a yellow question mark in the top left hand corner.

Clicking on the file it says 'the files are disconnected' and my machine goes on an endeless search trying to find the files.

what has gone wrtong?

what should I do to overcome this problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2013 5:06 AM   in reply to hubedo

It means that the file (or the folder that contains it) has been moved or renamed outside of PSE. (Or possibly, that the drive that the file is on has changed letters)

You need to reconnect the files using File->Reconnect

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 12:04 AM   in reply to hubedo

Which PSE version are you using? If that is PSE11, then you need not to do this cumbersome process. Open Edit->Preferences->File' andm make sure that 'Automatically connect missing files' option is checked. Also you might know the current location of 'missing' files on HDD. Now just import all the media again and Organizer will do auto-reconnect.

Now for your query, you might be seeing a dialog like-

reconnect.JPG

In this dialog, the image thumbnail shown on left is the image in your catalog which is missing. The image on right is the one to which you have to navigate. So for a successful reconnect image shown on both left and right should be same. If that is so, click on 'reconnect' button. Repeat this for other images.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 4:57 AM   in reply to hubedo

'Reconnect files on import' functionality/improvement is available in PSE11 only.

For your problem, you can reconnect using filename shown on both left side (of missing file) and right side (of file in browser).

Just a suggestion, from above approach (using filename on both sides), reconnect atleast one file. (I guess ''Automatically reconnect and search files' option in preferences is checked). Once done, select all missing files and click on File->Reconnect->All missing files. Wait for sometime and check whether it is reconnecting any files now (see whether number of missing files has changed or not as this process will take considerable amount of time).

Also how may of your files are missing? If the number is not too large, I would recommend to remove the files from catalog and import them again into catalog.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to hubedo

Are you able to reconnect your media? In case not, follow the detailed steps to solve this problem at: http://tinyurl.com/aswpylz

Let me know if you face any issues.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to hubedo

hubedo wrote:

What Adobe TV ‘s Phillip Andrews fails to tell you is that you must, at all times, first download everything from your camera, or another PC or and EHD to your C Drive. If you fail to do this, as was the case with me, you will only get thumbnails on your screen and no connection can be made with the original files!

Jan

False.

For the organizer there is a big difference between 'offline' files and 'diconnected' files.

'Offline' files are typically the files on a CD/DVD which is not presently accessible by the computer. The catalog has stored the location (the drive identifier) of the CD/DVD and has also stored a thumbnail (reduced image) of all the files in the catalog. The catalog can show you the thumbnail and the link to the CD/DVD is correct. Obviously, you can't edit the files when the CD/DVD is not available, but you can do organizing tasks such as rating, adding keywords, including a file in an album or a stack.

'Disconnected' files are files which may or may not be accesible by your computer, but are not in the same location and/or with a different name that the name and full path, including drive identification, than those at the time they were 'registered' in the database. Typically, the files have been moved, renamed or erased via the explorer instead of the organizer. The database stores a link, drive identifier (drive letter + drive serial number) plus full folder path which is no longer correct.

If you have 'offline' files, the option to 'reconnect' files won't show you the 'missing files'. But you will be able to see the 'offline' media in the folder view.

So, you don't need at all to have copied all your files from external media to your main computer drive. You can have pictures on 'offline' drives and/or external drive. So, in your situation, it is important to know if the files are 'missing' or 'offline'

You wrote:

"I downloaded raw and JPeg files from camera to standby pc, from standby pc via external hard drive to my main pc."

Do I understand well:

1 - you downloaded from your camera to one PC.

2 - You made a copy on an external drive

3 - You downloaded from that external drive to your main PC.

When exactly did you 'get photos and videos from files and folders' to get them in your catalog ?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points