I have a serious problem with Premiere Pro CS6 when I want to replace footage in the project. I need to replace .R3D files to ProRes files that I encoded via MediaEncoder.
When I replace the clip (.R3D to ProRes) in project browser, Premiere crashes every time announcing:
"Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shut down..."
When reopening the project (the recovery project Premiere Pro tried to save while crashing), the name of the file is still the same, but the content of the file has changed to the ProRes clip (they are different in resolution). When I replace the clip again, the name of the clip also changes and does not crash - however the clip was already changed even the name wasn't.
If I then replace another clip (.R3D to ProRes), Premiere will crash again. This happens every time I try to replace a new clip (.R3D to ProRes).
If I replace the other way around (ProRes to .R3D), Premiere will not crash.
Please help. This is very annoying problem, and I need this resolved as soon as possible!
(MacPro, OSX 10.7.5, PremierePro CS6)
nobody has an idea why this happens?
Well, I made further experiments, sent crash reports to Adobe, no reply.
The problem is still: when trying to replace footage (.R3D => AppleProRes), PremierePro crashes every time.
The following announcement pops out (to click OK):
Adobe Premiere Pro
Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project.
Earlier PremierePro crashed and had to force-quit. Now I just have to quit it - it stays on but does not work and makes a pop-up (to click Continue):
Premiere Pro has encountered an error.
Again, if trying to replace footage the other way around (AppleProRes => .R3D), PremierePro does not crash.
Please, help soon! Thanks.
thank you for your reply. I can send you a small .R3D file (four frames, 10.5 MB) if you tell me where to send.
I noticed that what ever the file format or codec that I'm trying to replace the .R3D to, Premiere Pro always crashes. So, you don't have to have ProRes files to test this. However, you of course need one .R3D file - just tell me where to send.
I also tried this thing with my laptop with same results. The laptop has the same PremierePro CS6, but has OSX 10.6.8 (my MacPro has 10.7.5 as told before). So, it really seems to be PremierePro fault.
Tried it with two files, an AVI file at the same resolution and an MXF file at 1920 x 1080. Both worked fine, however, both also generated a low-level exception error with the Red importer. This did not crash PP or interfere with work, though.
Hi Simon, thanks for trying.
Do you work on Windows? Maybe this is a Mac/PremierePro issue?
Another person using Windows/PremierePro said it does not crash, but underlined that he used a Windows machine.
Hi I too have had this issue come up in the past. Today it started again, same exact error messages trying to relink files that I moved while in Finder. I was reorganizing my files in Finder and I thought it wouldn't be an issue since I could just relink the files in Premiere. When I started up my project file it opened up requesting to find the "missing files". I was able to relink my .mov files but my .wav audio files are causing the crash. Very annoying!
I thought the easiest fix would be to put the files back where they were and restart the project. Nope, still asks for the files after I put them back where they originally were and again crashes after trying to relink only the .wav files.
Hey there, I am also having this problem. I have a project where I would like to replace some footage with updated R3D files. Once I right click on a clip and go to "Replace Fottage", choose the file I would like to replace the clip with, the message reads "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shut down..."
Does anyone at Adobe or any users who have solved this issue have any answers?
Thanks so much in advance!
**I am using Premiere CC 7.2.2 on a MAC OS 10.9.2
I did find a solution, and I was told about another one too. So here are the both solutions I know about:
1) You need to rename the original r3d file. Then Adobe Premiere will ask you for the new destination of the file. You point out to the .mov file. The file is still shown as r3d, but now you can easily replace it with .mov. This works and it is not such a pain to walk the bug around likt that.
2) You just have to make the R3D files off-line. Renaming is one way, and moving the folder(s) temporarily to another location is another (maybe a bit easier, if you have a lot of files). But there might be other ways too, just the files have to be off-line.