Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign CS6 acting strange at times

Feb 28, 2013 9:36 AM

Tags: #acrobat #pdf #permission #indesign_cs6 #don't_have-permission #indesign_doesn't_quit #tabbed_ #windows_grayed

I am not loving Indesign CS6. Not because of it's functionality but because it acts strangely. When I quit it, sometimes it takes forever to quit and you start wondering if it is going to, sometimes it says it's closed but the tabbed windows still remain in view only grayed out with the beachball spinning. Eventually it goes away but it is disturbing. anyone know why?

Another thing is that when I change a font size, it will look like it changed but still have the after image of the previous size. Irritating.

One more, and I've had this problem for all of the last versions since I think cs4. When I try to replace a pdf with a current version, (unless I have restarted my computer since the last time I created it,) it tells me that I don't haver permisson or that file may be in use. I end up going to the pdf and trashing it physically. Not very efficient.

I know there are 3 issues but I've only had it for a couple of months at best.

The first issue is the most disturbing.

Mountain Lion 10.8.2, 8 gb memory, processor 3.06 ghz intel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to Elizabeth Casteel

have you applied the 8.0.1 patch to ID?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to Elizabeth Casteel

Please remove your auto-signatures when replying by email.

The next step is to trash your prefs. see Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to Elizabeth Casteel

Might be some sort of interaction with other programs running on the system...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to Elizabeth Casteel

I still think it's probably a conflict, or perhaps a network issue. Are your files local, or on a server?

Any third-party plugins or a font manager?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to Elizabeth Casteel

Again, please remove your auto-signature when replying by email.

Let's try a couple of diagnostic experiments, please.

First, create a new user account onthe mac and log in with that and tell us if there is a change in behavior in ID.

Second, try starting in with extensions disabled by holding down the Shift key while booting the Mac. Does that make a difference?

Do you run any sort of utilities -- anti-virus, Mac Keeper, etc.?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to Elizabeth Casteel

Can't tell you why, but Mac Keeper is known to cause problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 10:37 PM   in reply to Elizabeth Casteel

Get rid of MacKeeper.....do a google search on it.  Sounds like crapware.  Use the free sophos antivirus instead.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Mar 12, 2013 3:21 PM   in reply to Elizabeth Casteel

I cant get InDesign CS6 to stay open. Once it loads, and I click File>Open - Before the menu closes, it crashes. I have yet to make it past a point where the file I requested OPENS, and is visible.

OSX 10.6.8 Intel 12GB

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to VectorIsBetter09

Victor,

Please post your crash report on Pastebin.com and put a link here. That should provide a clue about why the program is crashing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 7:20 PM   in reply to Elizabeth Casteel

...What about the "replacing a pdf with a current version" issue?  I also have this issue, after couple times, it tells me I have no permission, or the file is in use, even though it's not, and I have to trash the last-saved PDF before the new one will be saved....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 1:05 AM   in reply to Amikoe

I've never seen that here unless the file actually was open. I think I've seen some reports that the Mac email client can cause ID to think a file is open if it was opened as an attachment and then closed, but I son't think that's your problem in this case. Again, though, it's not normal, so probably a conflict.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 4:49 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I've seen it on Windows also with the use of some third party preview tools for PDFs. They trick Acrobat into thinking the file is open.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points