Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

EPS vs. ai files... and color

Feb 28, 2013 2:33 PM

Hi all! I build reports for a particular client who prefers Quark. So I use it. For years, I've been building the reports using Quark and importing eps charts. The charts are created dynamically online... then I edit them and save them as eps files. Years ago, Quark wouldn't import .ai files... so I got into the habit of saving them as eps files (RGB). I recently realized that Quark can now import .ai files. So I did. The illustrator charts are identical... but when I import an eps vs an .ai file, then create a pdf... the colors look different.

So is this a Quark issue? An Illustrator issue? Or a pdf issue? Thanks...

Julie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2013 5:53 PM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

First, what's different about the color?  You used to build files with placed Illustrator .eps files, now you are using .ai files, what's different about the .ai files?  Since the only thing that changed was the use of native Illustrator files vs. Illustrator .eps files, it's probably not the PDF.  Not Quark.  Something about the .ai files, I suspect.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 8:54 PM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

Its possible that it is a color profile issue. Do you calibrate your monitor? Or if the ai file is from someone else do they calibrate their monitor. I am not sure but I think eps is old enough that it does not include the profile where the ai file will.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

EPS files cannot contain ICC color profiles. Ai files can - did you save them with ICC profiles?

On the other hand it may depend on the Quark version how it will handle the profiles.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 6:57 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

ICC color profiles are not something I'm very familiar with. I'm guessing that's the issue. I'll read up on it. Thank you all for your help!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points