Skip navigation
oddjobb
Currently Being Moderated

Missing Tags and photos in old catalogue after creating a new catalogue.

Mar 1, 2013 2:52 AM

Tags: #missing_photos #old_catalogue #missing_tags #new_catalogue

I created a new catalogue for photos from the new year onwards.  I am using the same Adobe version 8 and computer as before.  I then imported photos to the new catalogue and tagged them.  I deleted any keywords tags headings that I no longer needed in the new catalogue.  however I went to my old last year's catalgue today only to find 1:any photos tagged under headings I deleted in the new catalogue are not there and 2:all the tags and keywords are missing for the photos that are still there,.  So basically nothing is tagged anymore and most of the photos are missing from photoshop!! How can I get them back?

thanks

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 1, 2013 3:05 AM   in reply to oddjobb

If you moved the images to new folders using windows explorer, Elements will no longer know where they are as the original file path will be broken.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 1, 2013 3:11 AM   in reply to oddjobb

That would seem strange. Are you sure you have switched to the old catlog. Is the correct name showing at the bottom left of Organizer?

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 1, 2013 3:26 AM   in reply to oddjobb

The only thing I can suggest is to restore that catalog, if you have a PSE8 backup.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2013 7:23 AM   in reply to oddjobb

Hi,

Which version of PSE you are on?

Is the issue resolved now?

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 10:33 PM   in reply to oddjobb

Please confirm that deleted tags rather than photos?

Even if you are not seeing those photos in old catalog, you can find them on your hard disk and import in that new catalog.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 10:12 PM   in reply to oddjobb

How are you confirming that the tags are not on the images anymore? Did you try filtering one such tag and got empty results even when you expected some images?

It's possible that the tags are still on the files but somehow, View >> Details has been turned off due to which you are unable to see tags below image thumbnails. Please check if that's the case.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 1:16 AM   in reply to oddjobb

Hi,

Just to let you know, the two catalogs exist independent of each other. If you click File >> Manage Catalogs >> you should be able to see both of the catalog. The keyword tags in the new one should ideally be present if not deleted expicitly.

Please check if the 4000 photos are shown up in the New catalog. If yes, see if the photos are missing?

If yes, then try reconencting to original photos on the hard disk by locating their location.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 2:17 AM   in reply to oddjobb

"I created the new catalogue and copied the keyword tag names from my old catalogue to the new one."

How did you do that?

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 11:31 PM   in reply to oddjobb

Alright.

Apparently there's no reason why it would do so. Since you already have the older keyword tag list, we may try one thing.

Please check your catalog location in Help >> System Info. Now go to this location, it will be be something like ...\My Catalog Old\ (Say the catalog folder is "My Catalog Old")

Please copy paste it this folder at the same location so that now you have two folders- My Catalog Old and My Catalog Old Copy

This way, we have created a backup of your original catalog. Now Launch Organizer and open the catalog "My Catalog Old Copy" using File >> Manage Catalogs.

Try importing keyword tags from the tags xml you used earlier. From Edit >> Preferences >> Files, tick the checkbox for "automatically reconnect missing files".

Also, re-import the files which you are seeing as, deleted from the catalog. They should be reconnected on import.

Let's see if the tag associations come back on import.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 11:03 PM   in reply to oddjobb

If the files are same, they should have reconnected.

As of now, all I can suggest is delete the last import batch of files which you imported just now. And try reconnecting files manually with their counterparts on the disk. I know its tedious but that's the only option left imo.

It's always advisable to take catalog backup from time to time to avoid such situations.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points