Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

gamut/level shift exporting to IMX (PAL) in .MXF OP1a

Mar 1, 2013 4:22 AM

Tags: #export #mxf #pal #imx

Hi Forum.

Actually this thread describes the same problem that I have:

I export from PPro CS6 timeline to MXF OP1a, with the IMX 30 PAL or IMX 50 PAL setting.

Levels and gamut comes out shifted so that it is clearly visible and gamut goes sporadically out of legal range.

If I export to Quicktime ProRes from the same sequence, everything is fine.

I am running PPro 6.0.2. on Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Maybe someone from Adobe´s side can help!?

Cheers,

MH

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 3:15 PM   in reply to meisterheisster

I created color bars, exported out as IMX 50, then reimported into PP.  Looking at both the original bars and those exported, there is a very, very slight shift in levels such that the export is now at about 101 IRE, instead of the original 100.  There were also noticeabe differences between the two on the vectorscope.

My guess is this may be an unavoidable artifact of MPEG encoding, as exporting to lossless did not show the same shifts.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I think that Adobe has confused the color primaries in the MPEG encoder and used ITU-R Rec. 709 to encode SD video. Adobe must fix that problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to Juris Lielpeteris

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 10:20 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

The link is broken:

We're sorry, we encountered an error processing your request.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Hehe... I've reported this problem in feb 2011.

Gues what? No answer. Like I see this bug is still in CS6.

PS: I use ffmbc to produce IMX SD PAL MXF.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to Juris Lielpeteris

Must have been offline when you tried.  Works now.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Thank You, Simon.

I sent bug report today. We have a large number of SC6 Production Premium, and we have moving all production workflow of Latvian TV to CS6.

Similar bug have Sony Vegas Pro v12 when exporting to HD mpeg-2 for BluRay, and SCS acknowledged that the problem exists:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/513986-vegas-pro-12-all -builds-mpeg-encoding-bug.html

Juris

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 1:39 AM   in reply to meisterheisster

We also reproduced same problem on different hardware platforms. Bad thing that we have many customers that looking on Adobe Premiere CS6 as primary NLE system in facility and one of major disicion points is that they want to choose it cause of ability to export in MXF OP1a IMX and they want to have IMX as theirs main production format. And know looks that we have to stop everything cause of disability of Adobe to fix their problems for 3 years as i understand bobas. Somekind of cheating. I don't belive that support (especially R&D) is checking this forum cause there is no any "Bug confirmed" messages. And this is shame, spending huge amount of money for Adobe products and no support, cause last time i was contacting it, regarding IMX problem, answer was check this page for "phone contacts"  just amazing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 3:55 AM   in reply to manofh

I got a response from Adobe, hopefully they will at some time to do something...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to manofh

I don't belive that support (especially R&D) is checking this forum

You're right, they don't.  You have to use the Bug Reporting form I linked to previously for them to see it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 2:28 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I see this same problem on my Windows system when exporting from After Effects (CS6 and CC). Exporting an IMX OP1a IMX 50 causes a rather dramtic shift in colour, particularly in the red and green channels. As this is the format that is becoming the standard in the UK for digital delivery, would anyone from Adobe care to comment?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 6:08 AM   in reply to ChrisBrearley1

If Adobe developers within multiple versions are unable to respond to a number of bug reports and correcting just one of his errors, there is not worth spending money on Adobe products.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to Juris Lielpeteris

Bug again has not been corrected, render in Premiere CS update v6.0.4 has no difference from previous versions, Adobe continues to ignore our bug reports.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points