Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

making a movie from stills photographs

Mar 1, 2013 7:52 AM

I was taking still pictures of a duck eating and swallowing a fish with a Nikon D4 camera at 11 fps.  There is a whole lot of almost identical images and I was thinning out and deleting the excess duplication.  then I wondered if instead, such series could be used in a brief movie, either by a fast seamless slide show.  Or in PP blending the image series, perhaps interpolating between them.

I remember that my first Apple 2e computer had the ability to blend one drawing you made into the following so it seems that there should be such a capability somehow.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to robirdman1

You can fairly easily create a "time-lapse" Video from the stills.

First, I would experiment with a few in sequence, to get a handle on the desired Duration of each Still Image. That will depend on the speed, at which they were taken, either how quickly you pressed the shutter button, or the speed of the "motor-drive," of intervelometer used, and its setting. It might be that 1 Frame is ideal, or perhaps 15 to 30 (0.5 sec. to 1.0 sec.) looks best. I have used from 1 Frame to 30 Frames, but it depends on several factors.

Once you get a feel for the desired look, based on the speed that the Stills were produced, then go to Edit>Preferences>General, to set the Stills Duration. Name your Still Images with sequential numbers, say "Duck00001" through "Duck0999." Import as a Numbered Sequence, and you can even add the Default Transition (this can be set for Duration on the same Preferences screen, and a bit of experimentation will likely tell you what that should be), if desired.

For more reading, see the Help File for "Numbered Sequence."

In CS 6, one can alter the Duration of Imported Stills, but I would do that, before Import.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to robirdman1

For the file naming, with sequential numerals, one can use Bridge, or any number of Renaming utilities for that purpose.

With PrPro CS 5, and above, the internal Scaling has been improved, however, there is still the matter of the computer resources, required to do that Scaling, and for that reason, I still use Photoshop to batch Scale for my Video Projects. This article goes into more details, with steps on Scaling with PS (and also PSE): http://forums.adobe.com/message/2200755#2200755

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to robirdman1

Approximately how many Frames to you have in this sequence? Was that 21 Still Images just for a test, or is that the full shoot? Often, Time-Lapse Projects have 1,000's of Still Images in the Sequence, but that depends on the frequency of the captures, and the Duration of the sequence.

If it's the full thing, then I would look into something like 05 secs. (150 Frames at FPS=29.97), and adjust the Cross-Dissolves, as needed (probably about 120 Frames, or so).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

My understanding of importing a batch of stills as an "Image Sequence" is that it simply makes a proxy "video clip" of the stills, with the duration of each still being "one frame" of video, so it depends on the editing Sequence setting, such as 24 frames or 30 frames per second for example. I see nothing in prefs that would allow one to change the duration of stills IN a numbered sequence import.

Of course, you CAN change the duration of stills imported AS stills. However, you must set the desired duration BEFORE importing. If you import the stills, then decide to change the length, the Prefs setting only affects stills imported AFTER the change, not stills already in the bin.

I have a video clip of a flag waving in the breeze, and just exported 4 frames of it from Premiere as stills. I then imported those stills with a duration of 15 frames each, put them to the timeline, and added a 4 frame dissolve between each and it simulated motion pretty nicely. Of course, use whatever duration of still and transition that looks good to you, just an example.

You can multi-select your stills in the bin, then select "Automate to Sequence" button at the bottom, and a pop-up window will allow you to set the duration of the transition so that it gets applied automatically between stills.The shorter transitions will provide more of a "morphing" look I think and will look less like an obvious dissolve.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 3:59 PM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

My understanding of importing a batch of stills as an "Image Sequence" is that it simply makes a proxy "video clip" of the stills, with the duration of each still being "one frame" of video, so it depends on the editing Sequence setting, such as 24 frames or 30 frames per second for example. I see nothing in prefs that would allow one to change the duration of stills IN a numbered sequence import.

Your understanding is correct. Image sequences inherit a value of 29.97 and there is no direct way to change that. (there may be some indirect way I haven't thought of yet, in which case someone proabbly soon correct me).

Of course, you CAN change the duration of stills imported AS stills. However, you must set the desired duration BEFORE importing.

Also true, unless you feel like trimming each and every one to the same duration by hand. For anyone who doesn;t know, that pref is in: Edit (win) / Premiere Pro (mac) > Preferences > General > Still Image to Default Duration

Also, the pref, 'Defaul Scale to Frame Size is likely a nother on you'll want to check on before importing stills for stop motion.

And then everything else Jeff said about automate to sequence and transitions is correct as well. I don;t know of any plugins (or other apps for that matter) that actually interpolate the bits of two different images and automatically animate between them. I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but my guess is that the results would not be that great unless your images were pretty similar. In which case it would probably look very much like a crss dissolve anyways.

If you only have 21 images, my guess is that you'll want to set the image duration to no less than a second and then automate to sequence using a  the default video transition (cross dissolve) with an overlap of no more than 30 frames (or whatever equals one second in your chosen framerate). Maybe stare there and see how it goes.

Also, Robird asks, "Was some of this to be done in Photoshop CS6 and then imported to Premiere Pro."

For a basic animated-still movie, no, but I've gotten excellent results by using Photoshop to align and adjust the images closely before going to prpro for the movie. But doing that can be time consuming and would be a whole seperate set of instructions for the PS part. I would jus sstick with pr for now, and maybe adjust a few images by hand in PS if they're way out of whack.

I now see that Bill and Jeff already touched on most everything I said, but there it is again if it helps... and it's possble I caught something they missed.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 4:03 PM   in reply to jstrawn

Image sequences inherit a value of 29.97 and there is no direct way to change that.

It's my understanding that the Indeterminate Media Timebase setting under Preferences>Media sets the inherent 'frame rate' for image sequences.

This should be set before importing the images.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 4:20 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

It's my understanding that the Indeterminate Media Timebase setting under Preferences>Media sets the inherent 'frame rate' for image sequences.

This should be set before importing the images.

Yeah, that's right... it figured it was in there somewhere. Thanks. 29.97 is just the default with clean prefs. Of course, that pulldown only goes as low as 23.9 so it probably wouldn't fit Robird up to the duration he wants. Image sequences are best for big still sets where you know you just want 1 frame / image and you don't care about transitions, ken burns or anything else.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2013 4:28 PM   in reply to jstrawn

Your understanding is correct. Image sequences (in Premiere) inherit a value of 29.97 and there is no direct way to change that. (there may be some indirect way I haven't thought of yet, in which case someone proabbly soon correct me).

Certainly not a correction, but the indirect workaround I regularly use

is to interpret fps of the image sequence in Ae, create a comp, then

Dynamic Link the fps adjusted image sequence comp into Premiere.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 5:14 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

I am with you on that.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 5:23 PM   in reply to jstrawn

As I am usually doing some Image adjustments in PS, I have the Images Open there already, and as there is likely not to be any Keyframing on Pan & Zoom in a "Time-lapse," I just do a final Scale there, plus the file Rename, to get me my sequential numbering.

If one does NOT need to do any Image adjustments, they have a CUDA capable card, with a computer that can handle many large Stills, to be Scaled by PrPro (CS 5, or above), then the Scale in PS is probably not needed, but if one has PS CS 6, then there should be little difference in quality in the Scale, whether with PS, or PrPro.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points