Skip navigation
Fyard47
Currently Being Moderated

Is there any way to support MS Word equations directly?

Mar 1, 2013 8:42 AM

I use the equation editor in MS Word regularly, and it makes it a PITA to import my word documents into InDesign, since none of the equations transfer over (it's just blank space in InDesign).

Yes, I can do a workaround by making a PDF from Word, but when you have 20-100 equations per document, in different places, it makes it take longer to use InDesign than it would to hire a scribe and have him write it all out by hand using a quill and inkpot.

Is there any way to get InDesign to support word documents properly and directly in this regard?  I just want to be able to import it and have it look correct, right out of the box.  I don't care if the equations are editable or not in InDesign - I just want them to be there, look correct, and in proper resolution.

Is this possible?  Perhaps in CS6?  (I'm using 5.5)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to Fyard47

A link to a sample document would be best. I hunted one down. First screen shot is from Word.

capture-000017.png

Second is upon placing it in ID CS6:

capture-000016.png

Note the x-y graph is missing. Don't know why but it was a funky graph made of several individual parts. If you have a real-life sample it would be better.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 12:06 PM   in reply to Fyard47

Got it. I'll be back after I get some stuff out the door.

Thanks, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 1:14 PM   in reply to Fyard47

No joy.

It appears my sample used MathType to create the equations. MathType appears to install for use in both Word and ID.

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/MathType/works_with.asp#!target=inde sign

Sorry I don't have a solution. However, at $97, and if one has more than a couple to do, it seems well worth the money.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to Fyard47

Fyard47, Mike's on the right track, but he's incorrect that "MathType...[installs]...in ID". It doesn't, but the link to our website that he posted is a good link.

I looked at your Import Test.docx document, and your equations were indeed made by Word's equation editor, more formally called the "OMML equation editor" (OMML = Office Math Markup Language -- not to be confused with MathML. Not the same.).

Mike mentioned MathType, but you don't have to re-create all your equations; MathType will convert them for you. The section at the bottom of the page that Mike linked to (after you click the "step-by-step" link) will describe how to convert OMML equations to MathType equations, then you can place the document into ID.

Let us know if that doesn't work out for you. MathType support is also available at support@dessci.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to MrMathType

Thanks for the correction, Mr MT.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status