Skip navigation
Arjay12345
Currently Being Moderated

Why is my eps file a faded colour in PS compared to my website?

Mar 1, 2013 9:53 AM

Tags: #color #colour #eps

Hi

I'm new to Photoshop, so please go easy.

I have a company logo on disk in eps format.  It's been used on my website and business cards.  I can open the eps file in Word and it's one shade of green, then I compare it to my site and that another.

When I open the eps file in Photoshop, it's yet another shade but this time really washed out.

Anyone know why?  I'm happy to send the eps file to anyone for them to help check.

All I want is the web coloured version in a bigger jpg format so I can use in Word docs; copying from the website and enlarging results in too blurry a view.

Thanks

Arjay..

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to Arjay12345

Photoshop is a color managed system, while many applications are not.  Color management gets complicated real quick.  Here is one web site and its attack on the problem.  http://www.bythom.com/qadcolor.htm

But basically if you compare photoshop image to the same image with a program that is not color managed it will look different.  I don't think Word is color managed and probably not the website either.

But it depends on the color profile of the image and the monitor, so like I said before it gets complicated and above my paygrade.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to Arjay12345

Curt Y has the root of your problem correctly. To accomplish what you want without opening the color management can of worms, try this:

Open the EPS file in Photoshop. In the Rasterize EPS Format dialog, set the size and resolution you want, then set the Mode to RGB Color. This won't change the way the colors look, but if the EPS is a CMYK file, (and I suspect it is, which would explain why it looks unsaturated on your screen), it will save a step.

Now, open the JPEG version of the logo that's on the web site, (save it from the site if you don't already have a local copy).

With both images open, target the EPS and choose Image > Adjustments > Replace Color.

In a straightforward way, the Replace Color dialog will allow you to sample colors in the EPS and replace them with their more saturated couterparts from the JPEG. If you need instructions, see here.

Save As... (don't overwrite the EPS).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points