Skip navigation
Metal Magic
Currently Being Moderated

When I Image Trace in CS6 and then expand it shifts the art?

Mar 1, 2013 10:49 AM

Tags: #illustrator #image #trace #cs6 #repositioning #alignment #offsetting

For my work I use the Image Trace a lot. When I Image Trace something and then expand it, it shifts the art over. Every once in a while I wouldn't mind but it does it every time and I have to go back and nudge it back into place by setting the original layer as a template and then looking at it in Outline mode. Here is an example of the shift...

ImageTraceIssue.jpg

I never had this issue in any other version of Illustrator and I have been working with it since 8. When I have multiple items to Image Trace on one of my jobs and I Image Trace on each one individually, it does it in random directions. Sometimes down and to the right, sometimes up and to the left and sometimes it doesn't do it at all.

Here are the settings I am using...

ImageTraceIssueSettings.jpg                       

I am image tracing 1200ppi bitmaps and I don't need it to be any more exact than it is now becuase I am then offsetting it .05" and using that as a relief for our products. But ignoring the shift would make one of our CNC machines mill through the art. Anything to stop "THE SHIFT" would be great. I am using up precious time in my pre-production schedule to be constantly doing this.

Sincerely,

Jason

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to Metal Magic

Any chance Align to Pixel Grid is turned on in the file?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2014 8:51 AM   in reply to Metal Magic

I also experienced that in Illustrator CC there is an offset of the trace to the original image of about 1pixel to the right and down. There seems something wrong with the overhauled trace tool, since you can't change the setup in a way that wouldn't have this issue. It's annoying if you want to work with precision. Have to use still CS5 for tracing, which worked pretty fine.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points