Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Having difficulty sharing a project to DVD

Mar 1, 2013 2:15 PM

I have a project that isn't burning to the DVD-R, but isn't giving me an error message.   I have burnt 2 successfully, one with menus, one without, so I know the burner is compatible.   It gets through many of the steps but when it starts the actual burning step, it stops at 5% and just keeps churning.  After a couple of hours the spinner goes away (stops churning) but it is still at 5% complete but there is no error message and nothing on the DVD.  It is large project but smaller than one of the other 2 that I was able to burn successfully.  I have over 600GB free, so shouldn't be a space problem.  Not sure what else to try, or tell you to help me understand what my problem is.

Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2013 2:59 PM   in reply to FFerguson59

To see if it is a project problem or a burning problem burn it to the hard disk instead of your burner. Does this complete OK? Can you play the result successfully using a DVD software player (try VLC if you don't already have one).

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to FFerguson59

Since things do change, and communicating with a burner can be "delicate" try this

Create a DVD output ISO file (Encore) or set your DVD output to a folder on your hard drive (Encore or Premiere Elements) and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to FFerguson59

Has anything changed in that Project, since you were last able to burn it to DVD?

If so, what was added, or changed?

Also, I would definitely try the Burn to Folder (the ISO option is not available in PrE), that John T. mentioned, to see if the Project will output to a VIDEO_TS folder, with the necessary IFO, BUP and VOB files.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to FFerguson59

When I do this same process with a project that does not contain menus, it was able to burn to a DVD and also a file.

Is this with the exact same Project, that is now giving you issues?

WMV's are process-intensive to handle, and are designed for streaming delivery, and not editing - especially in any version of Premiere.

Now, it appears that the error is occurring at about 5% (is that 5% of the Encoding, or the physical burn?) of the Encoding process, if I read above correctly. What is the Duration of your Timeline, in hours;minutes;seconds;frames? We can do the math (PrE uses 2-pass Encoding, so that 50% is the end of the first pass in that Encoding.

When one uses Burn to Folder, there is no physical "burning," being doine, only files being written, and then the DVD-Video file/folder structure being created.

The steps in the process are:

1. Encoding of the Timeline's Assets to a Video-only file, and to an Audio-only file.
    2. Combining/Multiplexing of those two Steams into one MPEG-2 DVD file.
    3. Deleting the separate, individual Stream files.
    4. Encoding Menus (Motion Menus take a moment longer)
    5. Creation of the VOB files, which are containers for the Menus, any navigation, and then spanning the MPEG-2 DVD file, if necessary, though several VOB files.
    6. Writing the IFO and BUP files.
    7. Adding the IFO, BUP and VOB files to the VIDEO_TS folder.
    8. Burning that VIDEO_TS folder and files to disc, or just leaving it, where one chose for the destination location.

What I would do is look at about the 10% point in the Timeline, to determine what is there, and how it might differ from the first part of the Timeline. Assests, such as overly-large Still Image, MP3 Audio files, etc., can cause Encoding issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 3:53 AM   in reply to FFerguson59

FFerguson59 wrote:

I made changes within the WMV files in Photoshop, where they were originally created, and also minor changes to the menus.

There are very precise 'rules' to the menu sets where the slightest variation can invalidate them.

Try your project using a standard menu set as supplied by Adobe and see if that works.

Also check that you do not have a stop marker at the very end of your timeline. If you do delete it.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers