Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Replacing/relinking files over a network

Mar 1, 2013 2:35 PM

This might be an OS issue and not related to After Effects but I thought I would give it a shot here.

I have a project that was created entirely with still images (almost 200,000) shot with a Canon 5D.  I converted the CR2 (RAW) to jpegs and edited the project in Final Cut Pro using those jpegs.  I then used Automatic Duck to send the FCP project to After Effects where I used the Batch n Replace script from aescripts.com (thanks Lloyd!) to replace the jpegs with the CR2 files for color correction.  The problem I'm running into is the script creates a new project where the CR2 files have replaced the jpegs, however everything is offline.  The images for each sequence are sorted into folders so I go to the first image in  a folder and tell AE to replace it with the proper file.  AE thinks for a bit and finds and replaces all of the other images in that folder.  Depending on how many images are in a particular folder, it can take anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours for AE to finish.  It took over 4 hours for AE to relink a project with 10 shots/images sequences containing over 12,000 images.

All of the AE project files are shared via Dropbox with the other Mac Pro in my studio.  I opened one of the projects on the other computer and tried to relink to the CR2 files on my RAID over the network but I had to do each image one by one.  Is there a way to relink the files over the network the same way as if they were on my own computer?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to Jon Coyopa

Are you trying to improve the situation so when you switch between computers you automatically reference a different set of CR2 files (i.e. same names & types, but different locations) without them being missing? Or are you trying to speed up the long delay when it finds the files automatically?

To solve the first problem, make sure the relative path between the project and the source files remains the same when you open the project compared to when you saved it.

-DaveS

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to CoSA_DaveS

And you're talking about 10 footage sequence items, each with about 1200 frames? Or 12,000 still image footage items?

-DaveS

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to Jon Coyopa

...I converted the CR2 (RAW) to jpegs and edited the project in Final Cut Pro using those jpegs.  I then used Automatic Duck to send the FCP project to After Effects where I used the Batch n Replace script from aescripts.com (thanks Lloyd!) to replace the jpegs with the CR2 files for color correction....

FCP defaults to forcing the image's horizontal & vertical resolution to the edit timeline's (aka sequnce) settings.  How did you resolve that particular obstacle?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 6:40 PM   in reply to Jon Coyopa

The performance may never get better. It is RAW, after all... Perhaps you should look into alternative workflows like this:

http://prolost.com/blog/2012/12/19/lets-cook.html

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 10:37 PM   in reply to Jon Coyopa

If you place the project file in the same dropbox folder as the source frames, the relative paths to the files would be the same on both computers, and then the files should never be missing when you open the project.

If you can switch to using still sequences instead of individual file import, AE will run much, much faster.

-DaveS

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points