Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I am gonna buy a Windows 8 laptop, will Photoshop work fine now(March 2013)?

Mar 1, 2013 4:06 PM

Tags: #photoshop #help #upgrade #gpu #windows_8 #graphics_processor_acceleration

I am planning to buy a Dell Inspiron 15R : http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=ni15roms_ft_059e&mo del_id=inspiron-15r-5521&c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1& but i am a little reluctant because i have heard that Photoshop doesnt work well on Windows 8. I cannot find a  Windows 7 laptop so i am stuck with it. So can someone advise me on this matter. I heard about the problems a little while ago so are they still there or did they fix them? Moreover I do not have a laptop or a desktop so not buying is not an option. PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2013 5:32 PM   in reply to Everald Leone

I believe you can special order the Win7 OS, but that is just my guess.

With 6 gig of ram that is workable, but marginal if you are planning big projects.

Also, the Intel GPU is marginal also.  Althogh they are getting better the 4000 is in the lower teir of GPU benchmarks.  THis means it will work on the normal stuff but may have some problems with high demand features like 3D and large images.  CS6 puts a lot of demands on the video card and ATI and nVidia are more likely to keep up to date drivers than Intel.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to Everald Leone

Hello,
    Adobe Photoshop is tested withoout any known issues, with Windows 8.

Go Get it!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to Everald Leone

The only problem I've had is that AMD likely won't be releasing an updated driver for my older video card, so I have none of the GL stuff, but otherwise, it's been great.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 12:41 PM   in reply to Everald Leone

UPDATE FOR PHOTOSHOP CC

Currently Photoshop CC is known to work in Windows 8 without any major issues. However in general if you are planning on Buying a Photoshop Laptop I have some recommendations you should keep in mind:

• Current operating systems and background processes plus a web browser can use as much as 2-3GB of Ram alone, Adobe Bridge can use a lot of Ram sometimes as well. While you can get by on 4GB I highly recommend 6-8GB as a minimum for working in Photoshop and closing all other apps including the web browser if at all possible.
    • Try to get a laptop with dedicated video graphics rather than shared. The new Mercury performance engine is designed to take some the burden off the processor and ram by utilizing the GPU and OpenGL
    • 3D objects when rendered in Photoshop will take up a lot of processing power, make sure you have Dual Core processors at 2.0GHz or better, Quad Core processors are ideal though. I recommend the i7 and a i5 as minimum requirement.

More information is available on my blog post here: http://robertoblake.com/blog/2013/06/thoughts-on-buying-a-photoshop-cc -laptop

I hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,873 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to RobertoBlake

Tom's Hardware released a small article yesterday, talking about how Windows 8 was not helping the depressed DRAM industry.  It made the point that a 4Gb 4DDR3 stick of DRAM is currently selling for as little as $1.75 !   Now that's not the sort of pricing you'll find for your system, but Newegg is showing 64Gb for a bit over $500 which is pretty incredible compared to a year or two back.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/dram-memory-microsoft-windows-8-shipm ents,18760.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points