Skip navigation
Noel Carboni 23,513 posts
Dec 23, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Virtual Varnish and Other Caustics, Photoshop 3D

Mar 1, 2013 7:19 PM

I have been continuing to experiment and learn about Photoshop 3D, and have been building up a nice little 3D environment.  My goal has been to see if I can make the things I'm modeling seem visually realistic, as well as to learn how to do all kinds of things, such as simulate polished and colored metal, glass, shiny and matte surfaces, etc.

Today I was experimenting with bump mapping (where the surface of an object is raised/lowered by the colors from a material assigned to the Bump component of the object.  Woodgrain that has dark streaks and marks in it made a good subject, as it presently clothes the postcard background of my design, making a desktop.  The woodgrain is from a photo I took of my desk, which is actually formica.

Anyway, I got to thinking, to simulate a varnished surface, I would want the bump map to be smoothed somewhat as compared to the actual woodgrain texture, to imply a certain thickness (e.g., multiple coats) of the clear varnish, so I ran a Gaussian Blur on it, then set the material to be partially reflective, and voila!  Virtual varnish.  A bit of backlighting via Image Based Lighting to help show off the uneven surface and wow - it actually makes a good bit richer desktop than the real desktop whose photo it came from.

DesktopMiscellany2.jpg

-Noel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2013 9:13 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Looks quite believable. I think if the varnish is too smooth it will have the look of epoxy.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2013 9:35 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Need to reduce the depth a bit - that looks like sandblasted wood that got a coat of varnish.

But looks like you're headed the right direction.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 2, 2013 6:13 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel please stop your starting to make me desire PS Extended. I'll need a new machine first mine is ten years old. 

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 2, 2013 7:16 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

When you ready to give it away I'll gladly take it off your hand.

I know I would need a new machine to do 3d Rendering for I know some of what is involved.

My son inlaw bought a new Smasung 3d TV the other day so a bought a 3D BluRay to watch with him and my grandson.  It was a full length feature animation Happy Feet Two. All I could think about watching it was how many computer hours did it take to render this movie.  Could winning a power ball lotto give me the resources to buy a computer that could render all the frame for that movie in my life time or would I need to buy more the one machine to shorten the time required.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points