Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 10 - Blurry still images

Mar 1, 2013 6:01 PM

I am trying to create a "movie" (a bunch of stills pulled together to music) for my kids' team.  I've got it all done, but for some reason my high quality digital stills become blurry / pixellated when it is "playing".    The stills appear fine when editing / not playing.

I am guessing this is something simple, but I cannot find the fix.  Thanks in advance.

SMN

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2013 6:20 PM   in reply to Maine4Oz

Can you tell us the pixel x pixel dimensions of the Still Images, and also the full specs. of your PrE Project?

It is likely that somewhere in the details, the answer will lie.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to Maine4Oz

And don't forget to render your timeline (press Enter) whenever  you see red lines above your clips in Timeline mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to Maine4Oz

Read Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to John T Smith

With respect for Hunt, Grisetti and Smith, I didn't know I was supposed to resize photos for inclusion a big video project I had been working on.  So, I didn't.  It came out OK to my eyes.

I decided to do a short test using the biggest photo files I had.  There are three RAW files, three .jpg files and a DNG.  I used lightroom to make the .jpg and DNG files.  The RAW and DNG files were around 20,000+KB and the .jpg files were 3,000+KB.  They are all about 5500 by 3000 pixels.  PrE rejected a .tif file.  Photos were taken on a Sony RX100.

(Interesting to me, is that ACR7.3 loaded into both PrE11 and PE11 when I updated for the camera I used for this experiment.  At the time, I was surprised but, it must be why I could load RAW files.)

I made no attempt to re-size or re-scale them.  I loaded them directly into PrE11.  The project preset was AVCHD 1080p60.  I published a computer file with the Vimeo HD preset.  The video is only 20 seconds, but output trasncoding took about a half minute.

https://vimeo.com/60904593, if you want to watch.  Please pick the HD choice.  (There was no intention of making anything "creative" here.  It is only a "technical" test. )

It does not seem blurry to me.  So either my standards are too low, my eyes are weak or I don't need to resize photos!

Could it be that the blurry problem that recurs here on this forum is not related to re-scaling?  Maybe the extra steps are not necessary?

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to whsprague

If you computer can handle it there is no need to rescale the images.

E11 handles the raw images very well.

I tested it with . NEF images.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 11:36 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann Bens wrote:

If you computer can handle it there is no need to rescale the images.

E11 handles the raw images very well.

I tested it with . NEF images.

Ann,

Are you saying that, in your experience, rescaling outside of PrE11 does not relate to reducing blurry results? 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to whsprague

Resizing stills is usually done when the computer cant handle the large dimensions.

It sounds more like a graphicscard not being up to date.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to whsprague

PrE lacks the Scaling algorithms, that PS has, and expecially PS CS 6. It is a "one trick pony."

Photoshop has Bicubic Smoother, Bicubic Sharper and with CS 6, Bicubic Auto. Both the quality of the Scaling, plus the control that one has over which algorithm to use, will be an improvement.

It is not the same with PrPro, as of CS 5, where CUDA/MPE allowed Adobe to improve the Scaling algorithms in that version - with the proper video card. PrE does not have the PrPro Scaling algorithms, and has no CUDA/MPE.

I vary between Bicubic Sharper and Bicubic Smoother, depending on the subject matter of my Still Images - some look better with one, while some look better with the other. I have not done full testing on Bicubic Auto yet.

So, regardless of what some might tell you, the quality will be better by doing the Scaling in PS, rather than in PrE, plus you have more control.

Then, there are the resources used, to push around a bunch of unused pixels. A stout computer can do that, but resources are used unnecessarily.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 3:47 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Thanks for some more training.  You are very generous. 

( Your last suggestion had me making DVDs from an HD project by encoding to a DV-AVI!  It was fun for a newbie like me and I posted my results.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/5088573#5088573)

I will probably never have CS6 or any of the individual parts.  My $200 "kit" is made up of Photoshop Elements, Premier Elements and Lightroom.  The three together gives me a lot of graphics horsepower!

I'll try the same test project looking for ways to do some Scaling in PE and Lightroom.  It may be that by the time Vimeo re-processes it all, differences will be unnoticeable.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 3:56 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Little test:

Which one is the downscaled psd file? 1 or 2?

The other one is the original .NEF.

https://vimeo.com/60911278

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to whsprague
    ( Your last suggestion had me making DVDs from an HD project by encoding to a DV-AVI!  It was fun for a newbie like me and I posted my results. 

I advice against doing this for HD going to SD (DVD).

Its an extra step in converting.

DV-avi is NOT lossless infact is lossy. It does not improve the picture quality infact its degrading it unnecessarily, before transcoding to mpeg2-dvd.

This method is ok for SD to SD.

Export straight to dvd. If you want to go with an intermediate file use something like Lagarith or Cineform. The first is lossless, the second is visual lossless.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 5:15 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann Bens wrote:

Little test:

I see no visible difference.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 5:23 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann Bens wrote:

( Your last suggestion had me making DVDs from an HD project by encoding to a DV-AVI!  It was fun for a newbie like me and I posted my results. 

I advice against doing this for HD going to SD (DVD).

Its an extra step in converting.

DV-avi is NOT lossless infact is lossy. It does not improve the picture quality infact its degrading it unnecessarily, before transcoding to mpeg2-dvd.

This method is ok for SD to SD.

Export straight to dvd. If you want to go with an intermediate file use something like Lagarith or Cineform. The first is lossless, the second is visual lossless.

Hunt  wrote that "going through the Encoding step to DV-AVI still yields better quality, than doing the down-rezzing internally, during the authoring process."

So, I tried it and did not see visible improvement. 

What goes on "under the hood" in PrE11 remains mysterious!

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 3:06 AM   in reply to whsprague

whsprague wrote:

Ann Bens wrote:

Little test:

I see no visible difference.

Bill

I rest my case!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 5:34 AM   in reply to Maine4Oz

I am having the same problem so appreciate being able to follow your discussion...  but now even more silly is that I can't find the option you are referring to.  Where is this display screen that contains the "Playback Quality" option?   Thank you!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 5:50 AM   in reply to FFerguson59

Okay, I found it.   I don't think this helps my problem.  My problem is the burned DVD is much lower quality than when I am creating, editing, playing back, etc. on the MAC, within Premiere Elements.  The quality is great prior to burning but significantly lower quality when I playback the resultant DVD on either the same MAC or the TV.   Does this mean all of the other (super technical) comments are what pertains to my problem????  Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 5:52 AM   in reply to FFerguson59

Remember that a DVD is only 720x480 pixels. So a DVD is NEVER going to look as clear and as detailed as your original, high-resolution images.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to FFerguson59

Decided I should describe my project...   Several WMVs, created in PhotoShop, combined via menus in Premiere Elements.  Menus and slideshows looks great on my MAC when working with them, but once burned, quite blurry and washed out.  Menus and slideshows look the same, one is not better quality than the other.  I selected highest quality in the Burn menu. Thank you....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 5:58 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Okay.... not what I had hoped to hear but I guess I can quit searching and stewing about this.   Thanks....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to FFerguson59

You're using WMVs as source footage? You can't get good quality video from them.

Are you literally creatng these WMVs in Photoshop or in the Elements Organizer? It makes a huge difference, since the Elements Organizer's Slide Show Creator can port native images to Premiere Elements without having to degrade quality by going to WMV first.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Elements Organizer.   I was trying to work around a problem of having an old PC (actually ancient) and a new MAC but not wanting to have to start my project over from the beginning (it is really big).  The old PC ran out of space and pretty much stopped me where I was.  I removed everything there was to remove and still couldn't even upgrade the software, let alone create the files I needed to create.  I have older versions of Organizer and Elements on the old PC, and most recent on the MAC.   So I went so far as to work with the pics themselves on the PC then created the slideshows with WMVs so I could move over to the MAC to continue on in Premiere.  From what you are saying I need to either live with the degradation or suck it up and start over in Elements on the MAC so I can let that version of Organizer talk directly to Elements.   Thank you!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 10:13 AM   in reply to FFerguson59

I have experienced the same problem with blurry images burned to PE 11 DVD slide show and I am trying to find a solution.  I followed Bill's helpful instructions to create and use .PSD files but no luck.  For years I successfully created DVD slide shows using still images with earlier versions of Premiere Elements and recently with an upgrade to a new DELL PC and PE 11 the DVD slide shows are blurry.  I was desperate so I used Windows Live Movie Maker using the same set of .JPEG images and the DVD slide show is fine.  Something changed either with my new DELL PC or PE 11.  Given the problems others are having I beleive it is a PE problem.  I will continue to search for an answer.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 3:15 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

PrE lacks the Scaling algorithms, that PS has, and expecially PS CS 6. It is a "one trick pony."

Photoshop has Bicubic Smoother, Bicubic Sharper and with CS 6, Bicubic Auto. Both the quality of the Scaling, plus the control that one has over which algorithm to use, will be an improvement.

It is not the same with PrPro, as of CS 5, where CUDA/MPE allowed Adobe to improve the Scaling algorithms in that version - with the proper video card. PrE does not have the PrPro Scaling algorithms, and has no CUDA/MPE.

I vary between Bicubic Sharper and Bicubic Smoother, depending on the subject matter of my Still Images - some look better with one, while some look better with the other. I have not done full testing on Bicubic Auto yet.

So, regardless of what some might tell you, the quality will be better by doing the Scaling in PS, rather than in PrE, plus you have more control.

Then, there are the resources used, to push around a bunch of unused pixels. A stout computer can do that, but resources are used unnecessarily.

Good luck,

Hunt

I worked on it this morning.  I converted a RAW file two ways with Lightroom 4.3 and thee ways with Photoshop Elements 11.  The picture is of a rusty 'hot rod' with colorful decals.  In the background are some tiled roofs that are sharp in the original when viewed 1:1 in Lightroom.  The tiles are not as sharp at 1920 by 1080.  (You should have been there when the engine was started!)

All five conversions seemed to brighten some colors a little.  It is most obvious watching the decal on the rear fender.  So Bill is right that there can be a difference.  But Anne is right in that there is so little overall difference that the extra work flow steps are not worthwhile when each slide is displayed for only a few seconds.  The viewer won't have time to see it.

(On Edit:  Later in the afternoon I played with the Sharpen effect on the original RAW photo.  A tiny bit brightened the fender decal and I could not longer see any difference in the clips.)

Discovering the "Bicubic" options in Photoshop Elements was a surprise two ways.  Until yesterday I didn't know it was there and, secondly, it demonstrates another example of where CS6 is not necessary for me!

One surprise was file sizes.  File size seems to make no difference in quality.  The Cubic DNG was half the size of the Cubic Smoother and Cubic Sharpen.  The smallest files came as .jpgs from Lightroom.  So, if disk storage space is an issue, maybe taking the time to scale photos has value.

I rendered the video at 1080p59.97 and uploaded to Vimeo so that you should be able to see it that way.  It is only 20 seconds long with 6 slides.    https://vimeo.com/60952115   You can download the file as rendered in the orginal form if you want to see it without Vimeo's transcoding.

It took me most of the morning and I learned a lot about how to handle still photos. 

Bill

Message was edited by: Bill.  I added a comment about the Sharpen effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to bluerichard21

bluerichard21 wrote:

I have experienced the same problem with blurry images burned to PE 11 DVD slide show and I am trying to find a solution.  I followed Bill's helpful instructions to create and use .PSD files but no luck.  For years I successfully created DVD slide shows using still images with earlier versions of Premiere Elements and recently with an upgrade to a new DELL PC and PE 11 the DVD slide shows are blurry.  I was desperate so I used Windows Live Movie Maker using the same set of .JPEG images and the DVD slide show is fine.  Something changed either with my new DELL PC or PE 11.  Given the problems others are having I beleive it is a PE problem.  I will continue to search for an answer.  Thanks.

"For years I successfully created DVD slide shows"

Years ago we were playing DVDs on standard definition televisions and working on computers with VGA monitors.  Could the "blurry DVDs" issue be a function of our eyes getting used to higher resolution levels on our hardware. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Is Elements Organizer's Slide Show Creator for Windows only?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to FFerguson59

Yes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers