Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

High pass effect on color

Mar 1, 2013 7:44 PM

Tags: #color #overlay #high #shift #pass #sharpening

Does the "high pass sharpening" subdue color saturation of the images?
I was creating a photo collage type of art in InDesign. I also used Photoshop to sharpen and resize each individual images. I used High Pass sharpening with Edge Masks. After readjusting the images in photoshop I saved them with new names and relinked the new file to the InDesign. When I relinked the new image, there was a noticeable degradation of color saturation. The images looked sharper but a lot more grayer or muddish. In photoshop, I didn't change the color space. So I wondered if the High Pass filter alters the color saturation.

Here is the link to my photoshop actions that I used to create the sharpening effect. If any one knows what caused the color shift in my file, I would like to solve the problem. This is very important for my future works. Thanks a lot.

http://www.4shared.com/file/VnawQ90N/High_Pass_Sharpening.html

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2013 8:29 PM   in reply to generalbatzorig

One thing to try is Edit > Fade afterwards, using a mode such as Soft Light.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 10:27 PM   in reply to generalbatzorig

Printing to inkjet should use Adobe RGB 1998 as the space from start to finish.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to generalbatzorig

In Bridge. Edit menu > CS Color Settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 9:48 PM   in reply to generalbatzorig

generalbatzorig wrote:

Actually, Overlay High-Pass sharpening actually tends to over saturate colors...one way to deminish the impact of color effects is to duplicate the image layer (assuming it's a flattened file) and put the dupe layer on top of the layer with the High-Pass layer and set this duplicate layer to Color blend mode. This will make sure the sharpening isn't changing the colors in the image. This is useful since the Overlay blend used in High-Pass can't be applied to luminance only.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Jeff Schewe wrote:

generalbatzorig wrote:

Actually, Overlay High-Pass sharpening actually tends to over saturate colors...one way to deminish the impact of color effects is to duplicate the image layer (assuming it's a flattened file) and put the dupe layer on top of the layer with the High-Pass layer and set this duplicate layer to Color blend mode. This will make sure the sharpening isn't changing the colors in the image. This is useful since the Overlay blend used in High-Pass can't be applied to luminance only.

i personally just desat my high-pass layers to eliminate any color shifts.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to eartho

general, I don't know what you need to do. Maybe just Convert To Profile>AdobeRGB1998

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points