Skip navigation
tessaonthecloud
Currently Being Moderated

Why do I keep getting the spinning beach ball in Premiere 6?

Mar 2, 2013 3:03 AM

Tags: #pro #premiere #cs6_freezing

I have just downloaded a 30-day trial of Premiere Pro CS6 on the Creative Cloud. Used it for several hours today to edit some mp4 videos and found that the source video frequently froze, and sometimes the project video too. I would then be unable to quit the program except through force quit - and sometimes I couldn't click on the apple menu either, so had to force the computer to restart.

I have a relatively new 27" Mac which exceeds the system requirements published on the Adobe site.

Does anyone know why this is happening, and what I can do to stop it?

Replies
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Mar 2, 2013 3:16 AM   in reply to tessaonthecloud

You really need to tell us a bit more about your equipment specs; source material and what you're doing with it in the timeline.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Mar 2, 2013 4:08 AM   in reply to tessaonthecloud

I've got a feeling that your Mac may under spec'd for HD content, although you don't say anything about the processor.

You also have a single drive which is not recommended.  Is it 7200 or 5400 rpm?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2013 5:03 AM   in reply to tessaonthecloud

The spinning beach ball is an indication that your system  is waiting for some tasks to be finished. In your case it could be  that the CPU, which lacks hyper threading, memory, which is bare minimum, video card, which does not allow hardware acceleration and a single disk all contribute to this phenomenon. You are correct that the system exceeds Adobe minimum requirements, but those requirements are only for installing the program, not for using it and especially not with AVCHD or DSLR material. See some Practical System Requirements.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points